Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
striperboy10

working on a head boat

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Give it a shot. What do you have to lose ? The only one who can answer if it will be fun is you. You may love it or you may hate it. If you don't try it you will never know.

If you like fishing and like to work it will be fun, on top of that you will learn everything about fishing. No skills are needed, just need to be reliable, on time and willing to learn. As with every other mate the more sociable the more you help out the more you will make. I say give it a try you have nothing to lose.

It can be decent money, 150-200 a day if your good with people. Most of it will be tips. Your job will be baiting hooks, cleaning fish, mopping up barf, and handing out beer. Headboats around here in the Va Beach area are mostly croaker fishing trips, and unhooking them all day can be mind numbing. Then cleaning the boat at the end of the day...

I'd much rather work on a small charter boat offshore, one mate and the captain. You will get all the tip money. You will have at the most, 5-8 people fishing, much easier to deal with, and much more interesting work. My buddy is on one this summer. Deep drops, offshore flounder fishing, and a couple marlin trips. The money is better, 300$ a day on a regular basis. No kids to deal with. He's going out 60 miles offshore somedays. Like I said, it would be alot more interesting.

How old are you? Commercial fishing could be an option if you can handle it. Its hard, you work around rough people, but the money is great and the work never gets boring. Ive been doing it for 7 years now, through high school, and now its paying for college. Expect to work 6 days a week, sick or not, 100-150 a day.

Ive had the opportunity to do and see alot.

Commercial fishing, commercial crabbing, both hard crabbing and peeler crabbing, crab dredging before it was outlawed.

Working 15 hours a day in January on the Bay in 10' swell, spray freezing on the decks, 20-30 degrees, something that makes you feel alive and you wont soon forget it.

It also gives you a educated argument, either against or for commercial fishing, from a recreational anglers point of view. If anyone argues against commercial fishing, yet has never experienced it for themselves, I dismiss them as an uneducated loudmouth. Commercial fishing is something I think every recreational angler should experience atleast once. It will give you something to base an argument on, either for or against it dosnt matter. Atleast you will have firsthand facts to base it on.

I'd choose commercial first, offshore second, and headboats third. Either one you choose, it will be fun, and usually decent money, it depends mostly on what exactly your looking for.

One more thing, are you able to get up early? We start anywhere from 3:30 am to at the latest 4:30. Either one you choose, you'll have to be up before 6:00 am.

View Postits a fun job if you like to fish, and the tips make the pay pretty good. just make sure you can tie rigs and filet fish. good luck!

not the best filleter! tend to butcher the fish (no pun intended)

Definitely have bibs and a raincoat on hand. You may not need them on a regular basis, but definitely invest in a set. Dont go crazy and spend 100$ on each piece. A cheap non breathable PVC set is all you will need. 25-30$ for each piece will be all you'll need.

The bibs you'll tend to wear alot more than the coat. Keeps slime and guts off of you. The coat will be for rain only usually, unless its rough out and your catching alot of spray.

You can talk things like this over with the captain. He'll give you specifics rather than general requirements.

Have fun man, this could be an awesome summer job with alot of money!

View Postnot the best filleter! tend to butcher the fish (no pun intended)

You'll want to practice it for sure. You can make anywhere from 25-75 cents per fish cleaning them. Thats alot of extra money, and many if not most captains will require it.

Also, I didnt mean to make head boats sound so bad in my post above. It will be a great job, but like any, it could get boring or miserable at times, BUT where else will you get to make that kind of money, be around fishing, and learn ALOT in the summer. It should be awesome highfive.gif