Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JerseyRaider

What type of Whale?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

I was fishing Bay Head yesterday morning and saw and enormous whale, 50 yards off the beach. I am not good at ID, and was wondering if anyone saw the same thing and knows what type of whale it was?

It was beautiful as it breached the surface. Bunker everywhere so, I assume it was feeding? If so this may narrow down the choices of whales as I know most feed on plankton.

A little help as I am intirgued....cwm15.gif

both bunker and most whales feed on plankton. they could have been both foraging together on the same bloom. so the whale could be any you would see this time of year.

There are several large whales in this area feeding on bunker.I have never seen it like it was yesterday,they where charging the bunker,and coming way out of the water,with bunker falling out of their mouths.I would bet they where 30-40ft long and launching 15-20ft of the body's outa the water,and splashing back downicon14.gificon14.gif,looked way bigger than pilot whales

View PostThere are several large whales in this area feeding on bunker.I have never seen it like it was yesterday,they where charging the bunker,and coming way out of the water,with bunker falling out of their mouths.I would bet they where 30-40ft long and launching 15-20ft of the body's outa the water,and splashing back downicon14.gificon14.gif,looked way bigger than pilot whales

musta been an awesome spectacle!!

I've seen humpback feed on bunker off of IBSP. Big, maybe you saw a "hump"? The throath would have been full or budging (with water and catch) as he came up and it would have looked sort of ribbed, laterally, like the wale on cordurroy pants. (Didn't see it this year though.)

I've seen the whale the last few days. Its clearly feeding on bunker. Saw him come up thru a school with its mouth wide open. As far as type I have no idea. It is a big as a humpback but definitely isn't one.

Obviously, I didn't see the whale, but judging by the description, its feeding behavior (breaching), and the bunker in the area, a humpback is a likely candidate. They eat fish and come out of the water to eat herring, etc here on the west coast.

View PostObviously, I didn't see the whale, but judging by the description, its feeding behavior (breaching), and the bunker in the area, a humpback is a likely candidate. They eat fish and come out of the water to eat herring, etc here on the west coast.

I've seen it several times. Saw it again tonight. Not sure what it is but its not a humpback.

I saw a few tonight,and I think at least one was a humpback.One time he dove deep,and held his tail in the air,looked like a humpback.Seen more whales in 3 days than I have seen in 10 years...very cool