Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sjakes10

need suggestions on new reel for cc glx

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, i have a 9wt loomis cc glx and have settled on tibor after trying alot of different reels for this rod. the everglades felt like it was better balanced than the riptide for this rod for me but I wanted to see if anyone else has had experience with this rod and both reels and which one they prefer and why.

I appreciate your response!

steve

what kind of fishing? wading. boat. stripersI find using an expensive reel fishing at night banging around on rocks isnt a great idea. I have a couple old Lamson LP3 LP3.5 and they are great for banging around. good drags good weight still can find them on ebay pretty cheap.

For boat reel albie's you may want a better drag like the Tibor or a Ross

Take a look at the Van Staal C vex. Hands down best reel out i feel. Perfect for the boat but where it really shine is on the beach. I dunked that thing in the sand plenty of time and all you have too do is loosen up the drag and splash it in the water and good to go. You dont have too take the reel apart too clean is and also there are only three main pieces too the reel the spool,sealed drag and the housing. Check it out.

I have The CC GLX 9wg & also have a Tibor Everglade & a Riptide.

I like the Everglade on that Rod. IMO the Riptide fits better on a 10-12wgt.

If you really want the top of the line look at the Mako's.

If your going to send that type of money for a new Tibor QC for anothe $100 you got one of the best Reels made with the Mako.

Van Stall make a nice spinning reel & should stay with that. IMO There fly reels are no where near other fly reels out there.

While I dont have that rod,I do have an Everglades and a Riptide.My 9wt rod has the Everglades reel on it,much better fit than the Riptide.If you get the non QC version Everglades,its $100 cheaper and an oz. lighter.

View PostI have The CC GLX 9wg & also have a Tibor Everglade & a Riptide.

I like the Everglade on that Rod. IMO the Riptide fits better on a 10-12wgt.

If you really want the top of the line look at the Mako's.

If your going to send that type of money for a new Tibor QC for anothe $100 you got one of the best Reels made with the Mako.

Van Stall make a nice spinning reel & should stay with that. IMO There fly reels are no where near other fly reels out there.

Come on, I don't want to offend, but 'top of the line' isn't on point here. If you prefer, presumably on weight/balance considerations which are on point, the Everglades over the Riptide on the GLX CC 9, why bring the Mako to the table which is more than 2 ounces or 20% heavier than the Riptide and more than 3 ounces or 30% higher than the Everglades.

I also own the GLC CC 9 and both Tibor reels of interest to the original poster. The 9 wt with the Riptide is my preferred setup for Yucatan tarpon mainly because of the 220 yard 30# backing capacity. I do hardly any blind casting and never all day where reel weight and balance might become important. For stripers and all day casting, the 200 yard 20# backing capacity of the Everglades might be a good match. The Everglades might also be the more versatile choice as well, as I hang the Everglades on my 7wt and 8wt for inshore Gulf coast and Yucatan bonefish. There's no wrong choice here, but the Everglades is probably the best first reel for his rod and fish of choice.

I prefer nautilus NV's over tibors. Not saying the tibor is a bad reel, but the NV's do everything I need them to do just a little bit better than tibor. Not to mention I never could get used to that god awful sound tibors make.

I fished a Riptide on that rod all last year. I wanted the extra backing capacity. It worked out fine for me, I had no complaints on weight.

On a side note with the guys talking about Mako's, those things weigh like 14oz in the comparable size. How can anyone even fish those things if your casting all day? I can see making occasional casts at Tarpon but consistent casting? I'd probably have bought them for all my rods already if they had normal weights...

As a reply to the OP, I can't imagine that different reels of more or less the same weight would make a difference to how a given rod handles. '

enjoy the rod, it's as nice a rod as is made.

I have an Everglades on my 9 weight rod and a Riptide on my 10 weight rod. Both balance out very nicely and can stop any bass, blue or albacore you'll ever tie into.

Spig

View PostI prefer nautilus NV's over tibors. Not saying the tibor is a bad reel, but the NV's do everything I need them to do just a little bit better than tibor. Not to mention I never could get used to that god awful sound tibors make.

Local66......if you're looking to add to your NV collection, you need to check out these two beauties....

http://********.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=40814

BTW, what do you need your reel to do that is better delivered by a NV than a Tibor? Just curious, as my experience is the other way round.