Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jamiep

Finally first striper on a fly rod

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Congrats highfive.gifclapping.gif

Nothing sweeter then catching one on a self tied fly

Next step in the journey, building a rod and catching one on built rod and fly.....keep going you've got many good years ahead of you

Hopefully it wont be my last. Ive got so many fish on flies nothing compares to a striper imo. Ive never caught a steelhead though.

Growing up in ireland we would catch fresh atlantic run salmon but no on flies though They can fight ill tell ya.

Now your really in trouble !! I hope you have a good job to pay for all the gear yoour going to want now. There is no better feeling than catching a bass on a fly that you tied yourself, I probably have 1000 flies that I tied and the sad part is there is only one I ever really use, and thats a chartruse and white clouser.

Nice job and good luck,

Tom Paolino

Dead drift- deadly tactic, especially in faster current. Low and slow, that is the tempo. Good work.

View PostDead drift- deadly tactic, especially in faster current. Low and slow, that is the tempo. Good work.

You know the times i was fishing i would always be stripping to hell.

The night i switch it up i get some . This salt game is a funny thingbeers.gif

Yeah, I think everyone does that at first. You're thinking bait fish swim fast, my fly should swim fast. But nine times out of ten, the slower the better. Most of the time I'm only stripping in slack to keep in contact with the fly, or I'm two hand stripping VERY slow, a crawl, trying to bounce of the bottom, stay deep, stay in the strike zone. In current I'll do a lot of mending, take up slack, then feed out line again, to keep the fly deep and in the water more. Same as most plugs (from what I read more than what I know)- when you think you're retrieving slow, slow down some more. Obviously there are exceptions but I think this strategy is best when you're just hunting for fish.