Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishbrains12345

tips?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

hi, im new to this forum i figured i would introduce my self before i ask my question. im a 14 year old in saratoga n.y. cut i have family in ct. and i do a fare bit of salt water fiishing there. i have read alot of online articles on stripers for shore fishing and just came up with nothing i havent tried.i would just like to know some decent tecniuques for fishing the surf at rocky-neck and of the sound. and if anybody has any knowledge of tecniques for stripers on the "mi-Joy" charter that would be very helpfull, thank you.smile.gif

Welcome to the siteclapping.gif Nice to see you have an interist in salt water fishing first thing is to try and put in as much time fishing as possible. At this time of year most fish are caught in rivers that flow into the sound you have two very productive rivers on the eastern side of CT. One being the Ct. River the other being the Thamse RIver also try to fish any estuary such as salt ponds and smaller rivers that flow into the sound. Another very productive method is to fish as much at night as possible try to get out during the day when there is a low tide to areas that you plan on fishing at night for stripers they are fond of rocky and gravel areas with good water movement during tide changes. As for lures this time year rubber lures that imitate small sand eels and regular eels work well as the season progresses try to go with bigger lures that mimick the bigger bait fish such as bunker and the small snappers that are abundant in the summer months. When ever possible try to find schools of bait in harbors and fish with live bait by snagging and fishing with a live bunker or snapper! Good luck and tightlines.

Good advice so far. Most of the fish have dropped out of the rivers now as the herring are done doing their thing. You may still find a few in the rivers but most are out cruising the shorelines and reefs now. The best advice given and one I would echo to you being a young angler is "Time on the Water" you cannot spend too much time on the water period. Anytime you want to fish GO! I don't care what the tide is or weather is just go. That is how I and most of the guy's here learned. We just went fishing whenever we wanted to go. As time goes by and you fish more you will learn when to go and when not to go but you are just starting out and the best way for you to learn is by "Doing". Just by fishing you will learn tons of things that nobody here can teach you or tell you. Nothing better than experience on the water and with a little time under your belt you will get to a point where people will be asking you when, where, how! The school of hard knocks is the best fishing degree you can ever receive and believe me it is well worth the time and the effort. I used to fish all the wrong times, tides, weather, etc. I still caught fish but more importantly it taught me when to go and when to work on my gear. And by fishing a lot of places it also taught me where to fish and how to fish those specific areas as i would have to go through my whole bag to find what would get me a hookup. Enjoy this time because this is the time you will look back on and say man those were fun times. The learning part is the most rewarding you will ever experience in fishing and when you stop learning you better think about doing something else because you have lost something along the way.

The biggest thing to remember is this is fun and it gives you time to get away from everything else, it is ME time and that kind of time is priceless in my opinion. If you have a specific question post it or shoot me a PM and I would be happy to try and help you out and pay it forward.