Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Flucky07

Brigantine South Jetty Today 90lb Drum Caught By ME!

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

I wanted to post about my fishing report. Stopped in at Riptide this morning when I got down there. Went to the south jetty on Brigantine using salted clams and bloodwoorms. One pole looking for stripers one looking for kings. Ended up hooking into a 90lb drum. Check it out and of course alway hit up captain Andy at Riptide Bait and Tackle with helping me out. He came out and picked the fish up as i didnt have a beach tag for the car. Also I donated the fish to the Bait and Tackle place so it wouldnt go to waste. I have never caught a drum before but i can tell you this DID NOT fight at all. I would say this drum was on its way to dying haha. 20LB test on a 10 foot surf rod. Nothing else caught but it didnt matter.

View PostSeems to me killing that fish and taking pix was cheaper than having flyers printed or a banner made.

I could have just dumped the fish off the 8ft drop off from the rocks right? The fish also looked as if it had some sort of wound. Im guessing maybe a boat mark? This fish never would have made it EVER. I hunt and fish and when i fish i NEVER keep any of the fish ever. This one wasnt able to make it back in the water no way. 90lbs is really heavy and it was just me, and the natives had no clue what it was, and only a couple people 5 to be exact were actually helpful. Calling Andy and having him use it was great because otherwise its floating in the inlet dead...So whatever, I am done defending myself on my actions, and I know i did the correct thing. Its legal to keep black drum over certain inches, and a dead fish floating in the inlet serves nobody any use!!!!

View PostI could have just dumped the fish off the 8ft drop off from the rocks right? The fish also looked as if it had some sort of wound. Im guessing maybe a boat mark? This fish never would have made it EVER. I hunt and fish and when i fish i NEVER keep any of the fish ever. This one wasnt able to make it back in the water no way. 90lbs is really heavy and it was just me, and the natives had no clue what it was, and only a couple people 5 to be exact were actually helpful. Calling Andy and having him use it was great because otherwise its floating in the inlet dead...So whatever, I am done defending myself on my actions, and I know i did the correct thing. Its legal to keep black drum over certain inches, and a dead fish floating in the inlet serves nobody any use!!!!

It was your fish to do with it whatever you wanted to. In your original post you did not make it clear that the fish was 1/2 dead. The "haha" threw me off. Did you ever question the motive of why someone who owns a tackle shop would want a large fish that no one would eat?

BTW how did you land it if you were 8' up on a rock? How ever it was maybe you could have put it back the same way.

View PostIt was your fish to do with it whatever you wanted to. In your original post you did not make it clear that the fish was 1/2 dead. The "haha" threw me off. Did you ever question the motive of why someone who owns a tackle shop would want a large fish that no one would eat?

Captain Andy knows 1000 more people that the fish can go to great use with. I am from PA, am the occasional surf fisherman. I have little experience with "big" fish. I am terrible at filleting fish, hence why i do not keep the fish i catch. I have kept a couple kingfish because they can go on the grill whole. I dont even keep the flounder i catch and i have caught a couple up to 22inches. Call me crazy but I am not up for just wasting fish. Captain Andy assured me that a commercial fisherman was going to take and use the fish. The fish would have floated if it was put back in the water, hence why we pulled it out. If i just cut the line, which i was ready to do but the person watching said no way that fish is not in good shape, the fish would have floated. This fish put up NO fight im telling you i though i was either pulling up a body from the AC side or a tire. This fish was in no question half dead. I fish for the sport and LOVE to catch different fish, today i met my match, sorry if i upset anyone in keeping the fish but was assured it was going to go to good use and not my filleting nightmare hands.

Eric

View PostIt was your fish to do with it whatever you wanted to. In your original post you did not make it clear that the fish was 1/2 dead. The "haha" threw me off. Did you ever question the motive of why someone who owns a tackle shop would want a large fish that no one would eat?

BTW how did you land it if you were 8" up on a rock? How ever it was maybe you could have put it back the same way.

The tide was going out so we walked down the slippery rocks and grabbed it with the help of 3 other people...The tide was coming in and if i just cut the line the fish would not have been able to swim away and got stuck in the jetty. Believe me i did the right thing i am NOT that kind of person. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Stop being jerks to the Fluck. Anybody who has caught enough big fish has seen this. It sucks. I've had it happen to big stripers and tarpon. Sometimes when you strike them, they're already full of baitfish and exhausted (or in this case maybe injured), but they're willing to eat just one more bite and it happens to be your bait. It didn't fight at all for a reason. It was toast before he ever set the hook. Probably filled to the gills with food already and loaded with lactic acid. 90lbs worth. OOOF. As if you ate at Morton's, then ran a marathon, then were tossed into swift water. I've had to quickly break off triple digit tarpon drunk on palolo worms for this reason. If you land 'em, you kill 'em.

Don't feel bad, amigo. Nobody wants to see fish die, but sometimes the odds come up. If you're comfortable with your appraisal of that fish's condition, then I am, too. Do something nice to someone who doesn't deserve it. Maybe it will improve your karma. Maybe the next one you hook won't be exhausted. Maybe I'm trying to improve my karma...

Very nice fish Flucky !! Congratulations ! Don't let Surfrat get you riled, he's really a nice guy and a great fisherman. He also cares greatly about conservation of our natural resourses. Comes out of the gate sounding a little rough sometimes though. heart.gif ya John biggrin.gif

PS you & the boys coming on the 4th ?

must of been one hell of a fight great land with 20lb test!its ur catch u do whatever u want with it its great to see a big fella like that make it back to sea but sometimes u cant help it they just wont make it