Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mokes

Can I get a breakdown on rod behavior?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

As I get further into the world of plugging and plug building I can see I need to upgrade some gear.

As of now, I am fishing with my VSB250 and a Rainshadow su1209. Pretty stiff rod. Casts a Pencil great. 4-5oz jigs no problem. Probably could cast a Buick, lol.

Should I be using a different type of rod for plugs though? Like a floppier rod? (not sure on the lingo, lol)

I see a lot of guys on the Canal with pretty whippy rods. I'm guessing I should be using something different for plugs and using the 1209 for the lead?

I'd buy an Airwave, but I just don't understand WHY I should.

View PostI have no problem with any of my rods behavior.

I point to the racks and sternly say "STAY" and they don't move...

Chris

LOL. I had an Ugly Stick run off last week with a South Bend. I was sooooo embarrassed.redface.gif

I guess I mean, do I need a whippy rod for plugs? Does it help in casting 2-3ozers?

View Post

I guess I mean, do I need a whippy rod for plugs? Does it help in casting 2-3ozers?

Mokes, don't confuse Action (ie: Slow, Moderate, Fast) with the rods rating and sweet spot (ie: rated 2oz to 5oz with a sweet spot at 3oz.)

The type of plugging you describe sounds ideal for a GSB 132M or a GSB 120M.

Do a little goggle search on rod actions etc. to get a background on the terms.

power.gif

The "action" of a rod is determined by where a rod flexes along the blank. Faster action rods flex mostly near the tip. Moderate action rods flex more near the middle of the blank. Slower action rods flex down into the butt section.

The "power" of a rod refers to how much pressure it takes to flex the rod. Different rod powers are engineered to efficiently handle a certain range of lure weights and line sizes. To select a rod power that will perform best for you, simply narrow your choices to rods designed to cast the weight of lures - and sizes of lines - you'll fish with most often. It's that simple.

Most guys prefer fast action rods for plugging, I believe.

Myself, I prefer a slower action rod, and that's why I like glass rods.

My favorite is a 10' Honey Lami from the 60's or 70's. It just has that sweet comfy feel for casting and working plugs. It is set up with a coventional (Abu 6500), and to me, it feels just right for plugging. I have been called a dinosaur for this preference cwm27.gif .

I also wrapped a GSB1321L this winter, and it has a pretty soft tip, which so far, I like for plugging as well.

I just can't get used to fast action rods for plugging. It's probably just me, though freak.gif .