Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pete_pa

try this top water lure....

7 posts in this topic

Just wanted to share a lure that I've had considerable success with now that the top water bite is getting going. It's called a Berkley BladeDancer

I usually remove the rubber fish trailer shown and replace it with something else like a split tail 3-4" trailer in white. But whatever floats your boat is worth trying. The shape causes it to ride the surface even when reeled in quite slowly. Stop reeling and it wobbles side to side sinking slowly. Since the hook rides up I've used this over heavy cover without snagging up although it does take a little practice, the main thing is to start reeling right as it hits the water. Comes in 2 sizes and different blade colors. While I was looking for some frog rigging ideas (buzz frogs) I saw where one guy combined a frog with this and said it was a killer.. dunno confused.gif how thats going to work but I'll give it a try ... tonight hopefully biggrin.gif .. I've had bass launch themselves 2 feet up in the air going after this...

If there is one downside its the blade to hook connection, I may have been a little vigourous unhooking a fish but I've broken that once, but that was after a number of hookups one afternoon during a frantic bite.

If anybody does use them, what's your preferred trailer?

Pete a rubber frog or anything doubled tailed trailer should work I think. IMO I've had better success with a doubled tailed trailer instead of a single.

Mister Twister Split Double Tail would probally be a good choice or even the Twin Firetail grub.

Can't wait to hear how you made out tonight either. After you told me the pressure was dropping I started watching it. Started chomping at the bit to cwm27.gif

She walked in around 5, went food shopping and ate dinner and I headed up to the lake and beat the storm by an hour.

View Postthats topwater? looks like a spoon with a plastic minnow. Nothing like having them bust the topheart.gif

I agree RR but as I said it wobbles in the surface film even when you reel it pretty slowly... one thing I've found that works great is a sharp pull causes it to jump out of the water like a fleeing baitfish... do that followed by a short pause and it'll flutter down injured like... anyway just something else to tuck in the box ... if you have pickeral in your lake I'll bet this would be a killer ..

View PostLooks and sounds like a fun lure, I'll have to give it a shot.

Don't you ever sleep Pete cwm33.gif

during the off season I hibernate cwm27.gif