Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrs biggene

Wanted laptop reasonable

10 posts in this topic

Hi All, I am trying to find a reasonably priced used/in good condition laptop for my daughter. ( not Kacey, our older daughter) She is a stay at home Mom to a newly diagnosed 3 yr old diabetic and an infant. The laptop she is using is 13 yrs old and dying a slow and painful death. ( got it for her when she started college)

The laptop enables her to research diabetes, participate in several diabetes website disscussin boards and stay on top of thier so-so insurance company. It also allows her to do her grocery shopping online, so my son-in-law can just pick it up on the way home as they only have one car. They are making so many sacrifices so she can stay home to administer insulin injections etc.

Maybe someone is upgrading ? and looking to get rid of one. Thank you

There are a number of very fast and perfectly capable Netbooks that will feature very good software, wireless internet and security. I'm using mine right now. Not only are the lightweight and portable, but pretty practical in the sense of long battery life. Storage of massive photos or huge data files, no not recommended. But surfing, email, blog and such - perfect.

If you look around on the web they can be had for 200 bucks. sometimes better at woot, overstock, egghead, costco type stores etc etc.

Good luck

But if this is going to be her only computer I recommend a Lap top from Tigerdirect, I have been getting an Acer for under $400, every five years or so.

Peace

first id like to say god bless her. difficult and testing road ahead.

with that being sad. first ill let you know i own a chain of computer retail/repair shops. second i will tell you tigerdirect which has more or less legally changed its name to infotel distributors. has been known to have severe issues with most of their computer hardware. alot of their material is

"factory pull" or "factory refurbished" minimal warranty. VERy shoddy support on a purchased warranty, limited responsibility also. known offenders of almost never processing refunds/rebates/coupons etc. i myself tested this out, bought a brand new computer, piece by piece 3 years ago. 6 out of 13 items were used or "factory pulled", 4 of those having production codes listing them at over a year old. and the rest of the parts indeed have been factory refurbished items. i sent in my rebate papers the day i received the machine. its been about 1100 days ive been waiting for my $250 rebate...

anyhow the cliff notes version is basically forget about tigerdirect or w/e they want to call themselves. buy from a local shop, any issues arise its a quick run no muss no fuss nor any hassle.

again god bless and all the best 2 her and hers

Daimion is quite right about TigerDirect, almost everything they sell is refurbished and for the reasons outlined suspect. Beware also of CompUSA they seem to be owned by the same company and offer basically similar products.

While netbooks seem a good idea, the screen size is too small for prolonged use, and as you've outlined she wants to use it for research etc, so my suggestion is to forget a used notebook and get her a new desktop system.

I'd advise against a used laptop/notebook, they have a finite working life of around 4-5 years before major repairs and your mentioned 13 year old system is completely out of the norm.

Fortunately the half year end is approaching and if you move fast, you can purchase a reasonable system from Dell or HP at deep discounts.

If this link works, look here there are some decent well priced systems.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/s...dhs&redirect=1

Good luck.

If I can can talk to the lady about giving up her laptop we may be able to work something out. If not go on fleabay, I have purchased my last two laptops there. I can llok up which seller I bought them from. They were both hp's and lasted 5 years. I'll let you know if I can help.

Its an older macbookd g3 I think, she uses it to surf the web but I just purchased a new hp. She can make do, you need it more. If you want it, its yours. I will have to order a new power cord off of ebay. If you want to send me some plugs or whatever its up to you, if not no big deal. PM me your info and I'll get it out asap.

Farley

View PostIts an older macbookd g3 I think, she uses it to surf the web but I just purchased a new hp. She can make do, you need it more. If you want it, its yours. I will have to order a new power cord off of ebay. If you want to send me some plugs or whatever its up to you, if not no big deal. PM me your info and I'll get it out asap.

Farley

That would be wonderful !! PM being sent. I hope you can use some pencil poppers wink.gif

@ Daimion & Zybathegeek, Thank you very much for your input and advice. It is very much appreiciated. Unfortunately, even a good sale is around $500 as she doesn't have a moniter or keyboard and would need a full set up. In time I may be able to do that for her, but not right now. There is also the need to have it portable right now, as she can look up a carb count if they stop for a slice of pizza, calculate dosage and track all the numbers for the Doc.

View Post@ Daimion & Zybathegeek, Thank you very much for your input and advice. It is very much appreiciated. Unfortunately, even a good sale is around $500 as she doesn't have a moniter or keyboard and would need a full set up. In time I may be able to do that for her, but not right now. There is also the need to have it portable right now, as she can look up a carb count if they stop for a slice of pizza, calculate dosage and track all the numbers for the Doc.

Offer removed

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0