Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jameso

2 x 30# Bogas to weigh a 30+ # fish

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

My buddy and I tested it this morning and it works.

We took a crate with 35# worth of cement blocks and weighed it with a digital scale. Then, we weighed it using two 30# Bogas as close to each other as possible without touching and got 17# on each boga.

So, in a pinch, if you have a possible 40-50# fish and no 60# boga try two 30# bogas.

shaky.gifcwm40.gif

The angle that you're thinking about introduces the vectors issue. If you can remember, I think this is what one can solve graphically. Draw a paralelogram. Because there is an angle between the grips the 20 + 20 means the fish must be a little more than 40.

I think my vectors thing isn't proper. I keep thinking about it and believe that you would be correct that if there was no angle. The combined indications would be the correct weight. I'm confident that the vector thing doesn't apply because the combined weight works with the mental experiment of: What if one person had one foot on each of two bathroom scales, what would one expect regarding the person weight. Further, if 40# is correct when there is no angle, the slightest little angle introduced would produce an incredible heavy with what I had in my head about vectors.

I thought that I was wrong--(but I really wasn't)! Yeah, it's been a really long time since I thought about vectors and resultant forces, but I usually check my beliefs, in these cases, with mental experiments.headscratch.gif But, my mind's eye must be getting to an age that where it may need a monocle. I won't explain the reason for my second post any further than to say that my test involved data that was pulled from the wrong mental pigeon hole.beatin.gif

Jameso,,,, you are absolutely correct... Gravity is a force that acts straight down. So the vectors would not be an issue,,,

We used to use up to 4 scales to weight large objects