Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MightyMouse

Eye-Buster alternatives?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hello, just got finished painting up some jig heads and was wondering, without the (I'm sure effectiveredface.gif) eye buster paint punch, what's the easiest way to remove powerder paint from jig eyes without destroying the rest of the paint on the head?

Use an awl with the point ground or a small screwdriver ground down.

Heat either with a small propane torch and they will push right through.

I haven't tried a paperclip done this way, but it might work.

Coley

View PostUse an awl with the point ground or a small screwdriver ground down.

Heat either with a small propane torch and they will push right through.

I haven't tried a paperclip done this way, but it might work.

Coley

Hmmmm... awl plus heat gun and I think we're in businesshighfive.gif

The best way is to not let the powder cover up the eye in the first place tongue.gif On small jigs (1/16 oz or less) it happens cause the line tie is so small. On the size jigs that most are making for the salt, you should not have that problem. It means you are getting too much powder on the jig. Could be a combination of too much heat and/or leaving the jig in the powder for too long. Take a look at a few jig heads done by a pro. See any signs that those jigs had to have powder removed from their eyes wink.gif

Jigman

View PostThe best way is to not let the powder cover up the eye in the first place tongue.gif On small jigs (1/16 oz or less) it happens cause the line tie is so small. On the size jigs that most are making for the salt, you should not have that problem. It means you are getting too much powder on the jig. Could be a combination of too much heat and/or leaving the jig in the powder for too long. Take a look at a few jig heads done by a pro. See any signs that those jigs had to have powder removed from their eyes wink.gif

Jigman

View PostI clean the eye with a pipe cleaner before I bake them

View PostThe best fix for this is to get you a fluid bed for the powder so the hook eyes won't get clogged.

Dean

In reverse order,

ketch, that's not a bad idea... the only problem is, the budget just isn't going to allow for another toy at this pointredface.gif

To address the next two, I like that pipe cleaner idea... but I just realized something... I could certainly hold the jighead by the eye instead of by the hook, and possibly use a spoon of some sort to lightly coat the heated head. I use a heat gun to heat up the head before dipping.

Keep the powder fluffed up by swirling a spare piece of thru-wire through it after a few jigs, use a larger bowl (tupperware), and swirl the jig through the powder. The eye is clogging cause you are applying too much powder. I don't think you'll find that spoon as useful as you think. Holding the jig head by the eye is also not the easiest way to dip it.

Jigman

View PostKeep the powder fluffed up by swirling a spare piece of thru-wire through it after a few jigs, use a larger bowl (tupperware), and swirl the jig through the powder. The eye is clogging cause you are applying too much powder. I don't think you'll find that spoon as useful as you think. Holding the jig head by the eye is also not the easiest way to dip it.

Jigman

I would hold the jigheads by the hook shank with a pair of needlenose pliers. Not the most secure way to grip them. I have a pair that I think would give a more secure grip. Invariably, I would always end up dipping the jigheads, over coating the bottom, and trying to swirl the jighead around in the powder paint, usually getting a hefty coating on top as well...

was I heating the jighead for too long with the heat gun prior to dipping? headscratch.gif

It's got two settings: a low one at 750* and a high one at 1,000*... maybe i should just stick with the lower one and reduce the time I'm heating up the head.redface.gif

750 is waaaay too high temp for the jighead. Sounds like it is getting too hot and causing more powder to clump on the jig head. I heat mine in a toaster oven to 250-300 degrees. A quick swirl in the powder and it is done. Note that I am using a fluid bed, so it keeps the powder fluffed up and applies a more even coat.

Jigman

View Post750 is waaaay too high temp for the jighead. Sounds like it is getting too hot and causing more powder to clump on the jig head. I heat mine in a toaster oven to 250-300 degrees. A quick swirl in the powder and it is done. Note that I am using a fluid bed, so it keeps the powder fluffed up and applies a more even coat.

Jigman

I had a feeling that it would be a bit overkill with that kind of heatredface.gif

I'll hold the jigheads further away from the heat gun on LOW and give them a heat bath for 15-20 seconds tops, and see if that helps.headscratch.gif

The eyes can be cleared much easier before the jig is heat cured. If you do it that way the edges will smooth out in the curing process and not abrade the line. I usually use a awl or another large hook.

VEry easy. Just pull apart a paper clip and hold it in a small pair of vise grips. Get the end very hot and just melt it through the eye. Works like a charm . It works well with vynal painted heads as well

View PostVEry easy. Just pull apart a paper clip and hold it in a small pair of vise grips. Get the end very hot and just melt it through the eye. Works like a charm . It works well with vynal painted heads as well

Now why didn't I think of that?redface.gif

View PostIn reverse order,

ketch, that's not a bad idea... the only problem is, the budget just isn't going to allow for another toy at this pointredface.gif

To address the next two, I like that pipe cleaner idea... but I just realized something... I could certainly hold the jighead by the eye instead of by the hook, and possibly use a spoon of some sort to lightly coat the heated head. I use a heat gun to heat up the head before dipping.

make one out of pvc