Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Whacker

Eel Fishing

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I like the gami live bait 7/0 on a three' leader #50 and a 120# swivel. used to use the octopus hooks but the thinner diameter hook wears a hole in the eel after a few casts and I would pitch off more eels. Not so much of a problem since I went to the live baits...

Get a big ol' hook, tie some line to it, shove it through an eel's face, and cast him out! biggrin.gif

I prefer about an 8/0 hook, snelled to a few feet of 50 or 60 # mono.

I've experimented with many sizes and have settled on Eagle Claw 5/0 Sea Circle L2004's snelled, for now.

I like a 8/0 Gami inline circle hooked about 3 inches from the end of the tail - they swim more naturally, almost never ball-up, and stay lively far longer when you're not sticking a steel spike through their head.

View PostI like a 8/0 Gami inline circle hooked about 3 inches from the end of the tail - they swim more naturally, almost never ball-up, and stay lively far longer when you're not sticking a steel spike through their head.

EB when eels are rigged this way where is the hookset usually located on the fish's mouth? In the crook of the jaw or does it differ.

Carlos