Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
j0k3r

It has begun...

15 posts in this topic

Topwater in my area has finally picked up.. I almost gave up hope but conditions were perfect. Overcast, low clouds, falling barometer and light showers in the area. Tossed a Zoom Horny Toad over thick cover, worked slowly. Multiple follows, 4-5 hits, but only one hookup (to be expected..)

Picked up this little guy, hit like a 3-4 lber but weighed 1/3 of that!

0610001943.jpg

Missed the first strike, immediately circled back and swallowed. I had already lost a fish by pulling too early and I audibly cursed myself out for it so I was determined to feel the weight before I set the hook. I gave it a good 3 Mississippi counts, saw the line being taken under, and heaved.

The adrenaline rush is really worth all the waiting weeks and weeks for topwater. If you haven't yet, go out and try it!

Good timing. I stopped today at lunch to throw a fly around a regular spot I visit and saw something for the first time. A freshwater surface blitz!

Not as violent as blues and stripers hammering bait on top, but it was about a 10' diameter area of fish constant rolling on the surface, with occasional splashes. Looking around there were clouds of young of the year minnows hanging around the lilly pads, so I'm assuming the disturbance was a school of the little baitfish balled up and getting hammered by LMB.

The mass of fish lasted about 30 minutes and moved over about a 200' range, moving along the shorline about 40 feet out, then up the lilly pads, then back across to where it started and all around. It came within casting distance of me only briefly but I managed to get a bite that hung on for about 5 seconds, then lost him. Not sure if I didn't set the hook or if it just grabbed the tail of the fly. Was a decent size fish though.

I'm still empty on the topwater here, I don't get it or understand why it hasn't picked up yet but I have yet to get anything on topwater. headscratch.gif

View PostI'm still empty on the topwater here, I don't get it or understand why it hasn't picked up yet but I have yet to get anything on topwater. headscratch.gif

same here, Ive have 1 tiny bass hit a topwater lure larger than it, nothing on frogs yet, but I havent tried in about 2 weeks so hopefully now its changed.

View PostIll be topwater fishing tonight, all night.. should be a good bite with the front coming in tomorrow

Good luck. Struck out today. Barometer above this afternoon 30.18, yesterday at 29.-- was the key for me. If it's falling you'll have a tremendous bite.

Not much of a bite after work but I did manage 1 big ol' bass I'll post a pic tomorrow only bite I had from 6-8pm ...I would say it was around 4.5lbs man I need to buy a scalebiggrin.gif