Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lichum

Newly Designed Perfectly Round Soccer Ball

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

From CBS News, June 10 2010:

"(CBS) The world's biggest sports competition, soccer's World Cup kicks off tomorrow in South Africa. The nearly 6 billion people expect to watch the World Cup will see something dramatically new on the field: the ball.

The jabulani, as it's called, was unveiled by Adidas with dancing girls, and its own theme song.

"Jabulani" is Zulu for "celebration." But players aren't celebrating.

Brazil's goalie called the ball "horrible." Italy's goalie said it's "a nightmare."

YouTube reviews posted by soccer fans show the ball swerving strangely. In one replay, the Jabulani ball clearly zig-zags - behaving more like a waffle ball than a soccer ball.

But Adidas insists, "this is the most accurate ball we have ever made."

While older balls have 32 sewn panels, the vinyl Jabulani has 8 heat-bonded panels - which Adidas claims makes it perfectly round. Three years in the making, it's been run through wind tunnels and robotic legs - not just for kicks, but for cash.

The German company sold 15 million balls during the last World Cup four years ago. So this isn't just about a new soccer ball. For them, it's a game of money ball.

We showed the new ball, which sells for $150, to three experienced players, including Winston Buddle, whose son Edson plays for the U.S. team.

Jerry Edwards saw the difference right away. On one kick, the ball made a dramatic late turn to the left.

Jerry said the ball's "faster," with "more knuckles and swerves in it."

On its website today, Adidas finally conceded its ball does travel faster at higher altitudes. That'll mean more trouble for goalies at the World Cup in South Africa, but maybe more thrills for mans."

jabulani-angola.jpg

they beetched about the "new ball" at the last world cup too...FIFA knows that the world wants to see goals scored and a good way to get more balls into the back of the net is to use a soccer ball that acts like a volleyball...

View Postthey beetched about the "new ball" at the last world cup too...FIFA knows that the world wants to see goals scored and a good way to get more balls into the back of the net is to use a soccer ball that acts like a volleyball...

View PostI have 2 , The problem is 8 panel balls travel like breaking balls . (I'm gona get killed for my word usage)

You need a least 16 panels to control movement .

Interesting.

TV: Saw the new ball kicked on a soccer field; its movement (hooking) was said to be like that of a whiffle ball.

View PostI have 2 , The problem is 8 panel balls travel like breaking balls . (I'm gona get killed for my word usage)

You need a least 16 panels to control movement .

Like a golf ball needs dimples to fly straight. I guess it should add some excitement to the game if each shot on goal acts like a knuckle ball.

I'm no soccer guy but I usually watch during World Cups and Olympics.

How will the new ball effect the ability to connect on longer passes? City, you have a ball, do you play with it regularly?

Ok when your a goal keeper you train for 20 to 25 years to track a players body movement . This will dictate ball movement . Change to a ball that knuckles a different way . Guess what happens .

The thing is you can put English (curve) on a ball , it will still bend the same direction . Hit a ball from 35 out flat out , it will knuckle like crazy !

View PostI'm no soccer guy but I usually watch during World Cups and Olympics.

How will the new ball effect the ability to connect on longer passes? City, you have a ball, do you play with it regularly?

You baiting me ! cwm27.gif

Long passes that don't have allot of english (spin ) and long flat straight shots will be like facing that pitcher from the Red sox !