Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
atun

Introduction and advice on MVY

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Greetings,

I wanted to introduce myself and pick your brains for some guidance. I'm a West Coaster and a fellow fisherman. These days I chase stripers and pretty much anything else that will take a lure or fly in the San Francisco Bay Area , but I grew up fishing surf and offshore in Southern California, (please don't hold that against me).

Last year I had the good fortune of marrying a beautiful woman who (mostly) indulges my fishing addiction. It just so happens that my new in-laws own a house on Martha's Vineyard in Chilmark. I know what you're thinking and no, that's not the only reason I married her. I swear.

This year we'll be spending July 25 to August 1 at their place with the family. Needless to say I am excited beyond belief. I've dreamed about fishing the legendary waters of MVY since I was a kid. I was there a couple of years ago for my (now) wife's cousin's wedding but was forbidden to bring any tackle, since I have a habit of disappearing for hours when I fish. It killed me. Well this time permission to fish is granted!

I'd be supremely grateful for any general tips and advice that this community can provide. What can I expect and what should I be targeting that time of year? I honestly don't care what I catch, I just want to get out and have a good time. From the research I've done so far I've gathered that Lobsterville/Dogfish Bar are good options close to Chilmark. The jetty at the mouth of Menemsha Pond also sounds like another likely spot. I also understand that fishing can be pretty slow that time of the year, and I should probably be fishing at night.

I could also use some advice on tackle. I mostly use bait casting equipment out here (Curado 200, 300 w/ braid, 8 foot rods) Will this suffice? Is renting tackle an option? And of course what lures would you recommend? (Kasmasters, bucktails, sluggos, topwaters, swimbaits/shads, etc, sizes)?

Since it's my first post I'll leave with a joke.

An elderly gentleman and his wife are sitting in the front row in church service. The man gently elbows his wife and leans over to whisper in her ear:

"I just let out a silent but deadly fart. What should I do?"

His wife whispered back: "You should get new batteries for your hearing aid."

Thanks for reading. Tight lines.

-Atun

Let me be the first to welcome you, let me also be the first to give you the advice that I was given in a similar situation I found myself. SPEND some money at the local tackle store, the owner's hearing gets better as you ask questions about fishing areas and techniques when Benjamin speaks. The other advice I was given was to pony up and charter the local guy, then repeat what you did with him. If that don't work, read read read

First of all, you are incredibly lucky. I grew up in the Bay Area and fished. The fishing out here is so much better...............and more fun.

I have surf fished for years on the vineyard. Here is my advice. There is no secret. There are no secret spots. Find a nice looking shoreline, walk and cast. If you cover area, you will surely tempt a strike

Welcome to the club Atun.

I'm going to be swapping places with you as I have to go out to the bay area @ the end of July/beginning of Aug. for a wedding but I should be around until at least the 28-29th of July.

As the time gets closer I'll have a better idea of exactly how the fishing is going, but we were still catching nice fish well into July last year and this year is already fishing better than last. So I like your chances of getting into fish when you're here.

Once you get enough posts under your belt feel free to PM me, and I'd be glad to point you in the right direction and possibly meet up w/you and wet a line.

AltaMira, capequahog, skinman, RipsAhoy, XJonMV, Thanks for the responses.

I'll make sure to pay a visit to Coops and Larry's. Any other tackle store that I need to visit? Also, since our dates are now firm I'm going to try to hire a guide if it's not too late. Does anyone have someone they can recommend or a site where I can do some more research? Feel free to PM if you'd like.

I have a lot of planning and reading to do. Can't wait! Fishing has been slow for me out here so far. We've strange weather this Spring so I've been doing more dreaming than fishing.

And pantherm, yes, I am a Lakers fan. Big Big game tomorrow. Whoever wins that one wins the series I'd say.

Thanks all,

Atun

If you really want you can call Janet Messineo. She is a awesome surf guide and knows the Vineyard better then just about anyone. But as skinman said the Vineyard is no mystery, in July depending on the weather the fish should be just about everywhere. Since you are staying in Chilmark I would think that the upisland beaches will be your best bet like Philbin, Menemsha, Lobsterville, Squibby, or the Head. Good luck and I'm sure you will have a blast. The Vineyard is a magical place with no equal.

Google Janet Messineo and you should find as much info as you need to hire her for a trip out surf fishing. If you want to go light tackle off a boat call Charlie Finnerty, he runs out of Menemsha and is a GREAT boat guide. PM me if you want his number.

I agree. Park at Lobsterville (small area) at dusk, fish all night. Go either east (back towards Menemsha) or west (towards Dogfish Bar/Gay Head). Use a bomber (I like a schoolbus A-salt but most colors will work), make long casts, reel it slow. Take five steps between casts until you get bites (which may be very subtle). Enjoy.

You guys are great! That's exactly the sort of general info about patterns and locales I was looking for. If anyone else has any other words of wisdom let me know, otherwise this is a good start. I'll also give Janet Messineo a call.

Walking and casting the beach at dusk; that sounds like heaven.

-Atun