Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pantherm

backing question

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I have plenty of 50 and 65 power pro any reason I shouldn't use that as fly reel backing or do I need to buy a spool of dacron backing like I always have done in the past? Any disadvantage to braid? I know about the slip on the spool...

I use braided gsp as backing on all my fly reels. Some will point out that they feel you have a greater chance of getting cut with braid. I've never had that issue and people I know haven't either. In any case, you should never grab the gsp when a hot fish takes off either...don't be foolish and you won't get cut IME.

Slippage is not an issue. Just wrap the tag end of the gsp line around the spool opposite of the rotation for 6-7 turns, connect to the body of the main line with a uni knot and the rotation of the spool will tighten it down on itself. I've never had the line slip no matter what size fish I had on the other end.

The only disadvantage I've noted is in one single instance - night fishing for tarpon near bridges where a fish will often head for the other side of the bridge and thread his way through pilings.

It is hard enough manuvering through bridge pilings in the current at night with a Q Beam light, but when you can't see the backing at a glance, it is even more difficult. That day-glo chartreuse backing is best in that one situation - especially for the driver.

Other than that, I like it too.

Cheers,

Jim

I use gsp on my two larger reels. I want as much backing as I can get on my 12wts. Since I don't know what is going to take. But I use braided Dacron on all my other reels only because of the cost. I have just to many reels so the cost of going to gsp vs. braided Dacron is a big difference. But like what has been said If you already have it use it. I've never been cut with it and only know one person who was cut badly and he was using braided Dacron and will admit it was his fault, for having his finger on the backing. When a small blue fin took off with his fly.

If you have it, use it. While I don't personally see any disadvantage, if you are fishing for stripers and blues (and also in my limited success with false albacore), I see no advantage to using it over dacron. How much backing does one really need? On my reels I have between 150 and 250 yards of the dacron backing. In all of the thousands of fish I have caught, I can count on one hand the number of times I was starting to get worried that I might not have enough backing.

View Post In all of the thousands of fish I have caught, I can count on one hand the number of times I was starting to get worried that I might not have enough backing.

But isn't it cool to have a fish on that makes you worry about how much backing you have? smile.gif