Kayaking in the ocean

Any recommendations on the best place to buy some of the emergency equiptment mentioned above at a reasonable price?

I am normally one who is on the careless/wreckless side when approaching things in life because I am a thrill seeker; however, I know what the ocean can do and I definitely will not put myself in a bad situation without the proper precautions. There is definitely nothing thrilling about being lost in an ocean.

View PostAll very good points. I was just asking because I want to get out there and try for some fluke around Ortly area. Not this weekend but during the summer. I am a novice, I think what scares me most is not the water or waves but losing track of where I am. Worst case scenario I go west! I am going to mount a compass to my kayak which will help.

Last week I went out on a tandem Malibu 2xl with my friend and we wiped out big time trying to get in. A breaker brought the kayak straight down and we went end over end. lost my brand new costa's.

Seriously, don't go without a partner in the Ocean. I won't! Tides may take you away and you are not able to get back. Tides in PNW are pretty strong and I have good maps of where the tidal surges are. Still I won't go alone!

-Rick
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident Angler 13
Humminbird 160 FF

View PostAny recommendations on the best place to buy some of the emergency equiptment mentioned above at a reasonable price?

I am normally one who is on the careless/wreckless side when approaching things in life because I am a thrill seeker; however, I know what the ocean can do and I definitely will not put myself in a bad situation without the proper precautions. There is definitely nothing thrilling about being lost in an ocean.

I wouldnt spend a bunch of money on emergency gear unless what are you are doing is realy crazy. Ive been doing this longer than 99.9 percent of the people on here and have never carried a radio, flares,strobes,compass, etc etc, etc. I do however own a PLB ($300) and did carry that this winter into the evergaldes. A plb is the ultimate device if sh#t hits the fan. I laso carry my cell all the time.

BARRELL

For me Safety is a concern and REQUIRED by law in Canada! I don't know about Jersey??

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety...ction5-818.htm

Boats 6 metres long and less

1. Personal flotation devices (PFD) or lifejackets approved for use in Canada and of a suitable size for each person on board. PFDs must be comfortable and functional enough to be worn at all times. Highly visible, short models with pockets for distress flares, radio, and whistle are preferable.

2. A buoyant heaving line at least 15 metres long (floating throwline or throwbag).

3. A manual propulsion device. The paddle is the propulsion device and must be carefully selected. It may be made of wood, aluminium, plastic, or composite materials. The blades may be unfeathered or feathered. Two-piece take-apart paddles are also available in all three materials and are good emergency paddles. There are models for every budget and taste, so try them before buying.

4. A bailer or manual water pump for removing water. A pump is more efficient. A large sponge can be used to remove remaining water. Don't forget to tie them down.

5. A sound-signalling device. You can use a whistle, a foghorn or compressed air foghorn.

6. Navigation lights. Between sundown and sunrise or when visibility is reduced, a white light visible over 360° is preferable, but a watertight flashlight is acceptable.
That is the minimum. ALL of my kayaking or fishing kayak friends go with a VHF radio. You can monitor the weather and be aware of what commercial traffic is around even if you can't see it. ALL of them carry a spare paddle and first aid kit.
-Rick
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident Angler 13
Humminbird 160 FF

I've been at this a while and have done several multi-day crossings/camping trips off of the coast of Maine, etc. and wouldn't think of doing this without a good vhf. Everyone has a different idea of good equipment, but the ability to send out a distress call to boaters around you is something invaluable, in my opinion. That, coupled with fairly updated weather info., certainly can save your azz at some point. you can get a good floater now for about 150 bucks if you look around-one that will also send out your position when you send out a distress call. You do have limited range when sitting down on the water, but as long as you're not paddling in a very remote area, you can usually make some contact.

A beacon is a good piece of equipment also.

All of this stuff is so much cheaper than it used to be-seems like pretty inexpensive backup.

Safety equipment can be together a little at a time. Barrell is comfortable without much of it, as are someothers, but I am not. I've slowly accumulated all of the items recomended by the USCG and many folks who kayak regularly. Feeling comfortable and having my wife worry less is worht every dime to me.

NOBODY here has a pass to blow out someone else's candle in order to make theirs shine brighter. TLDig[