Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RUjs81

Kayaking in the ocean

21 posts in this topic

Dependent on tide and weather.

Far enough away from the shipping lanes. Bigger container ships don't see you and you have no radar cross-signature.

Where I live you only have to go less than 500 meters for good fishing.

It all depends. Paddling or pedaling makes no difference. Just know your limitations and those of your kayak. Paddle kayaks make the crossing from Cape Ann to Cape Cod - that's a 47 mile open water trip. But they know what they are doing and understand the risks.

Do you have a good radio? Will you be in a group? What's the weather and forecast? Is your kayak a wide, slow barge or can it move along? How does it handle rough water? I have been a couple of miles from shore in perfect ease and been waffled 50 feet from the beach. Surf can be a danger, but with experience you stop worrying about it. No quick and easy answer!

As Kross said, paddles or peddles, makes no difference. An idiot with a paddle will be every bit as foolish and dangerous as one with peddles.

At first, dont go any further than you can safely and easily swim back if need be. As you feel more comfortable, you can go a bit further, and a bit further, up to a point.

Most experienced yakers wont go more that 2 miles no matter what, some 1-1.5 miles.

View PostAs Kross said, paddles or peddles, makes no difference. An idiot with a paddle will be every bit as foolish and dangerous as one with peddles.

At first, dont go any further than you can safely and easily swim back if need be. As you feel more comfortable, you can go a bit further, and a bit further, up to a point.

Most experienced yakers wont go more that 2 miles no matter what, some 1-1.5 miles.

also depends why your out there?

for fishing, dont need to go out so far,

for touring, spending day on the water wanting to get somewhere that doesnt hug the shoreline, may want to go further than 1 mile,

i would say keep it well within 1 mile, and with experience can go further,

also remember tide/currents, you can have an easy time going out say 1-2 miles,

then with tides/currents/wides changing on you,

may have to paddle equivelant to 10 miles to go back 1-2 miles

All very good points. I was just asking because I want to get out there and try for some fluke around Ortly area. Not this weekend but during the summer. I am a novice, I think what scares me most is not the water or waves but losing track of where I am. Worst case scenario I go west! I am going to mount a compass to my kayak which will help.

Last week I went out on a tandem Malibu 2xl with my friend and we wiped out big time trying to get in. A breaker brought the kayak straight down and we went end over end. lost my brand new costa's.

A compass is an ABSOLUTE must have. No battery operated chart plotter or GPS should ever replace one, just be used WITH one.

A buddy and I were out in late March trying for the first summer flounder in a seaside bay, backside. We were maybe a 1/2 mile from the harbor, certainly no more, and the thickest fog I've ever seen rolled in. Visibility 20 feet at best. Without a compass there would have been no way to move in the fog. Think of how that would feel frontside, with no compass...BADcwm31.gif

I tell everyone when they are trying to decide how to fasten stuff, just picture your kayak rolling in the waves. Button all your gear down tight! What happened to you was great experience, although its no fun at the time. Sorry about the Costas! Live and learn, right? No shame in it. If you have never gotten hammered in the waves you have not done enough surf launches.

Yes, a compass is a good idea, especially in dense fog.

If the surf gets really crazy on you, just hop over the side and keep one hand on the yak. Make sure you are on the sea side of it and just let the waves wash you in. Better than getting catapulted out of it. wink.gif

even not too far out, easy to lose sight of land,

compass helps you keep your eyes, on the yak and waves nearby, instead of trying to peek out to the distance over the waves.

sitting low in the kayak, easy to lose sight of land.

I've launched and returned frontside with success a few times now, but have never gone very far offshore. I'd like to hit the Shrewsbury Rocks, but will wait for an opportunity to do so with other kayakers who have done it before. I'm strong and have better than fair endurance, but the ocean can trump anything my puny arse can bring to the table.

View PostAmong other things, I keep a compass in my PFD pocket. I have one mounted on my 160, but iit's not going to help me if I get seperated from the kayak.

Absolutely...as goes for your VHF, which is probably the most important safety item aside from your PFD if you get separated from your yak. Never go out in the ocean or bay without one. A signal light is also a good thing to have stashed in your PFD too....or a strobe.