Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HugeDinghy

Flukin 101

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

never intentionally targeted them but will be moving forward...mostly a saltpond game for me due to the size of my boat...seems like a fun way to kill an afternoon with the kids..

What are the basics?

Bouncing a bucktail tipped with spearing/squid/bluefish strip with a teaser tied about 20 inches in front is a start. Usually the routine I catch all my fluke on. Bottom fishing forum has some pretty detailed and specific tactics in it, never bothered though, keep it simple.

Bring that 30. Bring food/water.

Use a wide gap or circle hook with a bucktail teaser below a weight slider. Bait with squid strips and a live mummy. Stay on the ground. Fluke are ambush feeders and always have their noses pointing into the tide. They'll be on the front edge of dips and rises waiting for bait to wash over. Drift the tide rips, edges of embankments, around boulder fields, etc. Be prepared to lose a few rigs to bottom noise.

You and the pups are welcome to hop on any weekend - shoot me a PM.. I have kids PFD's, etc...

View PostBring that 30. Bring food/water.

Use a wide gap or circle hook with a bucktail teaser below a weight slider. Bait with squid strips and a live mummy. Stay on the ground. Fluke are ambush feeders and always have their noses pointing into the tide. They'll be on the front edge of dips and rises waiting for bait to wash over. Drift the tide rips, edges of embankments, around boulder fields, etc. Be prepared to lose a few rigs to bottom noise.

You and the pups are welcome to hop on any weekend - shoot me a PM.. I have kids PFD's, etc...

Sounds like kev knows what he's doing.biggrin.gif Nice pointers on the bottom topography info.

View PostBring that 30. Bring food/water.

I'll take you up on that...and thanks for the pointers..cuttin down the learning curve biggrin.gif