Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonS

Surf Rod

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Lamiglas GSB 132 1L. They make an 11' 2 piece factory model on it (John would know the model number, I only know the blanks). If you want a 1 piece, you have to go custom. 2 oz is the sweet spot, and it handles lighter weights better than the 1M model. Unless you fish Montauk or the LI inlets, the 1L is all the rod you need from the sand. And the softer action makes it a better choice for lures with trebles and braided line.

If you want to spend a little more, the Ron Arra series has 2 11' blanks. XRA 1321 makes a nice beach spinner, but the 1322 also loads very well with 2 oz. Little more beef for bigger fish and bigger water, too.

[This message has been edited by Ditch Jigger (edited 12-06-2000).]

Jon S --I have the GSB 132 1L and had it cut by 6" (3" off the but and tip ends) to 10 1/2' in order to stiffen the action somewhat and to provide me with a bit more rear room for casting in the Ditch. Coupled with my Penn 975 I am quite satisfied with the rod... does everything I expected it to do. Throw everything from the 21/2's to the Hawg Hunter 31/2oz. Specials with no problem. Joe G

JonS, I would also agree with DJ and Cowhunter. The 1321L is all you would need for the open beach and then some. I have two, 1 conventional, 1 spinner, the rods are perfect for the weights your throwing ( 2 OZ ). Prospector

Hi JonS... Before I forget I want to tell you that your lure has been a menace to the local population of Crevalle Jacks. I really like that lure. I don't recall you giving me a name and model of that lure, maybe you should start naming it in a certain way because it is gaining fame around here wink.gif.

Jon... The Nevada13 from Conoflex might be what you are looking for ( www.conoflex.co.uk ). They built me a custom made Gambit24 specifically for casting the Ranger and fighting roosters and I am very satisfied with the rod. George Pope - the owner of the forum http://****.com/cgi-bi...ards/gowge.cgi can provide information about this rod.

Why don't you join Alberto and I down here next January?

Hasta luego.

Sergio

Something else and important about the Nevada13 12' (1-3 oz)... it is "dual-rung" so it can be used with either a spinning reel or a conventional. Something you might want to consider smile.gif.

Sergio

Guys thanks for the imput. I really appreciate it. The rods that handle larger fish are the ticket since I plan on tackling some world class Roosters in Baja. White Sea Bass over 50#s will also be targeted and Jacks and Pargo which are incredibly tough critters. Also if the Treavally turn out to be Giants they're gonna be tough adversaries.

The Lami XRSA1322 sounds good. After meeting Ron this fall I really liked him and appreciated his knowlegde and it will most likely will be one of my choices. I plan on getting a several rods since I'll be fishing over 100 days in the surf. Also when people come down and join me some won't have the proper equipment and besides when you're in the middle of know where you need lots of spare stuff. The rest of the time will be via kayak and boat.

eclark53 - Do you own the Loomis? I'd like to know more about it.

I especially like the Lami's since I can get them at dealer cost. I could probably get St. Croix and Loomis at the same discount.

Sergio - glad to hear that the lures working well. I had a feeling that it would. I've got a 4 oz. ready to epoxy built with the weight in the rear as you requested. It's too cold to work outside and the epoxy fumes give me an allergic reaction if I work indoors. I emailed you about it but hadn't heard back. The lures are fairly easy to make and you could build them down there.

Now a name for the lure. How about "the bigeye" since the eye is the most prominent attribute of the lure.

Alberto's bringing some Hooligans. I think that both you and the fish are going to really like them. That's why I'm looking for a rod with a sweet spot of 2 oz. because that's the largest Hooligan.

Hey Alberto, you ought to get your friends at Lionhead to make some larger/heavier Hooligans. That way they could be used with rods which would handle Roosters around the century mark because we're gonna be chasing them next summer in Baja.

I like the idea of the conoflex being dual and I'm sure it will be one of the choices.

I would like very much to join Alberto and you. Alberto and I have discussed it. I'll know in the next 2 weeks if I could swing it.

Its late hear and I just finnished working 12 1/2 hours. Gonna get some sleep.

Thanks again for the help guys.

JonS... Can you please e-mail me again that last message you mention? I checked messages from several machines last month and I might have missed it.

Don't worry about that larger lure Jon, the health is first... no health = no going fishing and that is worse than going fishing and no fish smile.gif.

Hope you can join us smile.gif.

Sergio

Jon... If you can phone them (ask for Aidan he is the son of the owner/founder of the company) it will be better. They are very corteous and will gladly answer all your answers, but I have found that their response by e-mail is not the fastest.

If you want to know anything about the performance of have any doubts regarding "dual rung" Conoflex rods as I told you, ask George Pope (Gowge). He has a lot of experience casting with these rods.

The new reinforced Gambit24 is just the right thing to use on roosters using the 3 and 4 oz Ranger (called Hotshot in 4 oz) specially if used as a spinning rod.

Because of the different casting technique when using it as a conventional maybe the Nevada13 can throw better the 3 oz Ranger than the Gambit24 when casted conventional.

I would definitely opt for the Gambit24 if the intention is to "double ring" it and throw the 3-4 oz skipping Roberts lures.

Hope this helps!

Sergio

JonS, I own the Loomis SUR1324S. It's a two piece, 11' graphite spinning rod rated for 1/2oz to 3oz lures. I haven't used it yet but based on its feel it should be excellent for 2OZ lures. You should also check out the SUR1266S. It's a two piece, 10'6" graphite spinning rod rated for 1oz to 4oz lures. I've used this one and really like it. The Loomis rods are exceptionally light weight and great for frequent casting. Hope this helps. Regards....Ed.

Ed - Its funny that you should mention the Loomis 1266. I was checking one out today at Ramsey. They didn't have the 1324. Both have merrit.

Sergio - I'll email again.