Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ESyakr

Plugging rod. What makes it so?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

What is the generally accepted action and power of a plugging rod?

Is topwater considered plugging, or is topwater a whole other category?

Will the ideal plugging rod also be ideal for bucktails, spoons, and Sluggos, or do each one require something different in a rod?

Thanks, all this is a little confusing to a noodredface.gif

Plugging rods are any rod you throw a lure with, Any lure! Bottom, mid or top water. I look at surf plugging rods as if there are three types. 1) Bomber rod: Any rod that will throw 1/2oz to 2oz. #2) any rod that throws 1-4 (most plugging is done with lures in this range) #3) rod throws 2-6 oz kind of a light bait rod for throwing heavy wood and bucktails. ie; The old All Star 1208 and 1210 are examples of these. Anything higher in lure weight is a bait rod with the exception of the All Star 1209 which is used on the CC canal for tailing but that fishing is "special".

If you like a rods action that, Lets say throws 1-4 then anything from 1-4 oz lure wise it will be fine for, top water, bucktails. ect... Unless your like me then you almost have a rod for every lure you own..cwm27.gif We could get into rod actions and what does what better but IMO it's all personal preferance!!

Generally you will want a stiffer rod with a faster action for bucktails.A great bomber rod wont be ideal for bucktails and vice versa.Some of the Mojo rods are more versatile than most and can do both effectively.My 2-6 oz Legend surf can effectively load and throw 1 oz all the way up to 6 it is extremely versatile.

View Postplugs you want to pull with a stiff rod.

fast action

Thats more of a personal preference thing.

I like fast action rods for Bucktails. Thats it.

Everything else in my arsenal has a slow taper and can bend all the way to the mid point of the rod depending on load.

This also helps when retrieving plugs in the surf. As it helps in the feel of keeping contact with the lure as there is always a load on the blank. And it doesn't get lost in the swell. A good rod can do this and still be sensitive enough to feel the lures actions.

Slower action rods also better tools for fighting fish. They are easier to keep constant pressure as well as being better shock absorbers.

An added bonus. Is that many of the manufacturers who build these kind of blanks use either lower modulus graphite or composite graphite / fiberglass. And it in some setups adds to the durability factor.

That being said . A plugging rod is a rod you are comfortable with casting lures with while still being mobile.

You are going to cast it over and over, you are going to throw a wide range of weights. Some will be aerodynamic that you throw hard, some will be air resistant that you throw slow. In my experience (mainly throwing 1.5-5 oz) there is something to be said for a rod with a moderate-slow action that requires you to pace yourself and slow down your stroke. Stiff fast action rods are great for the first few casts, but tire you and hamper your effectiveness as the night wears on.

There was recently a in depth discussion about fast and slow action rods on a extremely popular rodbuilder site, and those who participated overwhelmingly favored the faster action sticks. The survey found that a faster action rod was preferred by like a 3to1 margin,It wasnt even close and i am not talking flyrods. I was shocked to hear many of them say that they couldnt think of one instance that they would prefer a slow action rod over a fast one and that a faster action rod just performs on a higher level.Many stated that the only benefit of a slow rod is durability .I agree that a slow action rod doesnt pull hooks as much and is good for certain applications but i dont agree that a slower action rod puts more pressure when fighting a fish.I must say that i have tried many rods in both fast and slow actions, and im no youngster by any stretch and to me a faster action rod (usually a higher modulus,but certainly not always)IMO has a performance advantage that is clearly evident.