Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fish Guru

Ron Arra 1203-2

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I'm looking at possibly buying a Ron Arra 1203-2 and was wondering if the rod can handle plugs in the 2.5 to 3 oz range. It's rated to 2 1/2 but I'm hoping it can handle a little more, any input is appreciated.

for those lures you mentioned I would go with the 1204 rod...

the 1203 is a sweet rod but its a finesse rod more for bombers and yozuris and small metal... for 3os stuff go with the 1204.

I disagree. It's not just a Bomber/finesse rod. It is perfect for medium darters (Gibbs 2-1/2 oz or SS 2-3/8), pencils and even medium swimmers. I've had one for over 10 years and it's my go-to beach plugging rod.

I would not try throwing more that 3 oz, though. It's a parabolic rod so it should be able to handle up to 3 even with the 2-1/2 oz max rating.

And I disagree with you looky.gifcwm12.gif

no just kidding..wink.gif

Well I guess because I fish heavier lures than most a rod that tops at 2.5 oz is lighter stick in my mind... I too have used a Arra 1023 for over 10 years and I use it for "small stuff" well at least thats what I call it in my viewpoint bombers, yozuris, pencils, small Darters, etc...

the gentleman asked for 3oz so I recommended the 1204 next step up ..

well excuse me for living wink.gif

stock-photo-funny-girl-smirk-photo-album

AWESOME, If you didn't know already about the positive changes on the XRA Rods. All newer model XRA Rods will have Alconite guides on them and they feel much lighter and have shown improved casting performance. I have the new XSRA 1322 11' one piece spinning and the XCRA 1322 11' one piece conventional and I must say they are top notch performers that everybody should love to fish with. We are also introducing a great jigging rod, and for larger plugs over 3 1/2oz . The XSRA 1261MH 10' 6" is rated for 2-6oz lures. The XSRA 126 has been around for a long time, only offered as a blank but will be featured at the I CAST Show in July as a finished factory model. Good Fishing

View PostAWESOME, If you didn't know already about the positive changes on the XRA Rods. All newer model XRA Rods will have Alconite guides on them and they feel much lighter and have shown improved casting performance. I have the new XSRA 1322 11' one piece spinning and the XCRA 1322 11' one piece conventional and I must say they are top notch performers that everybody should love to fish with. We are also introducing a great jigging rod, and for larger plugs over 3 1/2oz . The XSRA 1261MH 10' 6" is rated for 2-6oz lures. The XSRA 126 has been around for a long time, only offered as a blank but will be featured at the I CAST Show in July as a finished factory model. Good Fishing

Oh c'mon

Ron Arra posting on Ron Arra rods? I call shenanigans.

CHEATERS, I SAY!

cwm27.gif

Sorry for the late post, but I love my 1203 conv. I cast confidently up to 3oz.

Love that rod. Mostly bucktails and tins and plastics.

I've had mine for 3 or 4 years I think. Whenever they stopped selling the factory conv.

I wonder if a custom rod would be even betterer?