Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ESyakr

Chunking and plugging advice for VA

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, I'll be fishing the Va barrier islands this fall and winter for reds and striper.

All my gear is mostly inshore stuff I use from the kayak, and I'd appreciate some advice on what to get.

I want one outfit each, a pluggin outfit for rock, and if possible, a chunking outfit that will do double duty for reds and rock.

Here is what I am thinking for plugging, I could be way off.

An 8' rated for 2 oz, for Bombers and topwater. I'd like to use a Daiwa BG, I have a small one I use for inshore fishing, and its bullet proof. Any suggestions on what size, and what lb test braid?

For chunking, I am pretty much clueless.

Im thinking about an Abu 6500 or 7000 size. Would a 6500 be too small for a big red? As for the rod and braid lb test, I have no idea, I'd appreciate any info at all.

For what I can spend, up too 150$ on each rod (thinking about the BPS Ocean Master), and under 100$ for the reels, the BG and Abu 6500 are both under 100$.

Thanks alot, I really appreciate it.

Gear is totally personal. I have spent hours comparing rods to buy. you just have to feel them. the one thing that stands out though, and again person choice, is alot of people insist on throwing big weight in bigger conditions. I love satelite sinkers with the pop down wires on the side. six ounces holds better than a 10 oz. pyramid or other shape. it doesn't put stress on your gear. the only different situation would be throwing into a strong wind. but for current they are superior. have to go down to NC to finds them in the last year though. I would say the major criteria is weight then length then action