Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Punisher

Mainers getting hosed.

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

With the new saltwater license. You are going to have to buy stamps and non residents are going to have to buy non resident striper licenses. Do to this NH, MA, RI, and CT will not allow Maine residents to fish in their state without having a non resident license because reciprocity was voted down so that Maine can get extra revenue. NH residents will be able to fish up to cape Neddick and that is it. So tell me how you guys really feel about this now.

All depends on cost. I buy fresh water licenses for NH, MA, and ME every year, costs me just under $150 a year. So long as the non-res saltwater license is not $50 Ill keep my complaining to a minimum. Either way they are gonna get me because there is NO WAY Im not fishing. If I had to pay a $100 for a salt water license Id pay it, granted, Id complain like all hell but nothing is gonna stop me from fishing.

View Postwhy not just have a NEW ENGLAND license"?

Why not a fishing license, by state if need be for fresh or salt. Just 1 Lic. If your fishing-it's a license period.

On the other hand this sw license is a farce, IMO

I knew it. I just knew it. "Let's soak those outah-staters. They have all the money." Small minded, look-out-for ourselves policies with a view of the world that ends in Eliot.

I fish in Maine, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, North Carolina, Florida, and sometimes Rhode Island. There, hit me for $50 for every state. (My rant, I can pick any number.)

I asked the NMFS to do all they could to make 1 coastal license for a reasonable fee. The states have the rights, and they will not cede the opportunity to accept the money. The states are going to put the money in the general fund to balance the budget for their social programs, and there will be no benefit to the fisherman who paid for the privilege.

Shoots big holes in the fishing budget for the fisherman.

(Rant over.)

A new governor will be elected this fall. It night be a good question to ask them how they stand on it? It shouldn't surprise you that Maine isn't taken care of the sportsman all they care about is wellfare

Why have we decided that to fish recreationally in the ocean we owe somebody money?

When did that all of a sudden make sense?

I know many states have had salt licenses for years - FL comes to mind. It's just the way it is down there. Just like we have never had to deal with it up here - which was AWESOME!

Now, because it's state to state in a region with many states close together, everything is a mess. Ugh.

Ugh.

View PostWhy have we decided that to fish recreationally in the ocean we owe somebody money?

When did that all of a sudden make sense?

The law or act was on in 1996- referred to as the Magnuson-stevens act. This was a federal act, for the monitoring and colaberation of "real" data on fishing, fish species, migration and general health of our oceans and waterways, voted on and approved by congress. As the federal registry became apparent and fees were being considered for this glorified phone book of fisherman- thats were states seized opportunity to "comply" with the federal but act locally with the fee and collections.

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/sfa/magact/

View PostThe law or act was on in 1996- referred to as the Magnuson-stevens act. This was a federal act, for the monitoring and colaberation of "real" data on fishing, fish species, migration and general health of our oceans and waterways, voted on and approved by congress. As the federal registry became apparent and fees were being considered for this glorified phone book of fisherman- thats were states seized opportunity to "comply" with the federal but act locally with the fee and collections.

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/sfa/magact/

and without it the Federal government would require a $15-$25 fee to use the registry. MA, will have reciprocal agreements with NH, RI and a couple of other states if I remember correctly. Maine and everyone else had the opportunity to get on board this issue and develop a good license system that had reciprocal agreements. But instead the legislator kept shooting down each of the initiatives. Now we in Maine are faced with a deadline. my hope is after a year or so the nature of the license could change.

It's just so typical of Maine to think it's so freaking special up here. We do not allow reciprocity for so many things it's not funny. I'm suprised we're allowed to live next to other states. Every time I think about how we do things up here I get so damned mad. mad.gif

Just another example of how we think with the little head.

At the very least, there should be reciprocity on the saltwater issue. It's not like they can enforce it. With the exception of boat ramps, when are they going to check licenses? Reciprocity would bring in some much more $$ than license fees. If someone thinks twice about coming to Maine cause we want $50 for a saltwater license, we just lost, $25 in gas money, $2 in tolls, $50/person a day food, $150 a day in lodging, $35 sweatshirt, $150 in bait and tackle, X 25 for an entire lifetime of family members returning and doing it all again cause they loved coming up here to play.

When I go to my son's place up in the China Lake area I have to buy a non resident license. Why not in the salt as well? The problem as I see it is all states are not the same for the saltwatr license. If no reciprocity, fine but make it accross the board or make one license good in all states. Just make it uniform.

View PostWhen I go to my son's place up in the China Lake area I have to buy a non resident license. Why not in the salt as well? The problem as I see it is all states are not the same for the saltwatr license. If no reciprocity, fine but make it accross the board or make one license good in all states. Just make it uniform.

Correct, Also the way I see it,IF one of the states has a nonresident for 15 and is recipricol with other states that I fish....well I know where my money will go and it likely woll not be the state I live in which is Maine..