Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
whtkdtn1401

Again...I couldn't manage to make good hookset on tarpon....

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Last weekend, I went out to fishing on city pier, anna maria island and faced a small school of tarpon maybe around 10. All the tarpons seemed approximately at least 4-5ft long. I rigged a spanish mackerel tail portion (not just a tail) with #7 Eagle Claw Red circle hook and I barely rigged on the back to make sure the hook comes apart easily when I try to set the hook. I was using about 50lb test 3ft long monofilament leader.

Maybe about 5 min after I casted my bait in water, one of tarpons, gulps my spanish mackerel tail and start running out like crazy. I believe he went out about 50-100yd or less because my quarter of spool was gone and I wanted to make sure he had plenty time to enjoy that bait. And finally, I have tightened my drag up little bit to get ready to give hookset and I held my rod up and reeled in couple times to try to set the hook and he makes a huge splash on surface and the line and leader broke up...

From this incident, I think I made these mistakes.

1) The leader was too short and wasn't strong enough. (Should've used bigger and longer leader)

2) I didn't know how to set the hook. (I think this was the main reason..)

Any suggestions or advice that you guys would like to share from this noobie's experience??

Thank you very much for your comment

I'm a novice when it comes to fishing for Tarpon. But first off, a circle hook you are not suppose to 'Set', just just tighten up the line and the hook is suppose to set in the corner of the fish's mouth.

Also, I'm not sure a circle hook would get through the boney jaw of a tarpon, might want to use just a 'J' hook. But again, I'm a novice to fishing for them.

The main line broke up.... and it broke as soon as he made that splash so I believe his tail, gill, scale or whatever broke the line i guess..??...This was the rig I was using

#7 Eagle Claw circle hook-3-4ft 50lb mono leader- 400lb swievel- bead and 1 oz egg sinker- 50lb 300yd powerpro

I was using fish finder rig sorry I wasn't using a bobber. I just realized that redface.gif

With the circle hook you should be reeling tight as soon as you detect the strike. Don't set they hook like you would with a normal hook. Just reel tight to you feel their weight. If you miss just let it sit to see if it comes around for another try. The tarpon will take in the bait no problem. No need to let it run with it.

He doesn't have problem w/ hooking, it's the line broke off.

How long is your leader and how it is attached to your main line (swivel or knot)? My guess is the knot causing the break off. Also, It could be a nick on your main line.

i belive it was about 3-4ft long 50lb mono and i attached to swievel. Yea i know that thats how I should do with circle hook but I thought i should try to set the hook to penetrate that mouth even with the cirche hook... guess it was wrong decision...

If the main line broke then it's probably either a weak spot in your line, or your knot. What knot are you using to on the Powerpro?

It's good your using 50 lb mono for your leader (I wouldn't go lighter then that). Tarpon have sand-paper like mouths and after a long battle they may rub through light leaders.. especially the big girlswink.gif If they're in town you may want to go heavier.

When we fish for Tarpon we rig about 6 feet of 60lb fluoro as leader, the fish we catch can get to be about 150 pounds. And yes, when a fish hits just fight it normally, as long as the line tightens the circle hook will hook the fish. You do NOT need to set the hook with circle hooks. And I have never had a problem not hooking fish with circle hooks. You will, more often then you think, just because they have concrete mouths haha. If you going to use J-hooks I recommend using braid and setting the hook as hard as you trust your equipment can handle, and hitting the fish a 2nd or 3rd time.

Never fished for them but seems there's always a fishing show where they are catching them. Seen them use circle hooks all the time. You do not set the hook. Let it run and then engage drag, thumb/palm spool, etc and the fish should hook itself.

When it jumps they always say to "bow to the king" and suppose to lower your rod. If it's up high it's gonna shake the hook or cut the line.

Again, just from what I saw on TV so take it with a grain of salt wink.gif

Are you "Bowing to the silver king?" When the fish jumps immeditaley throw your rod tip down to the water to create slack, if the fish lands on a tight line it will pop immediately. You could open your bail for a couple seconds, but normally bowing is enough.

Hi, guys. This is my first post ( just joined). Regarding your hook setting problem some of the other guys hit the nail on the head. With circle hooks you don't set, you come tight to the fish and reel. The hook will catch in the corner of the mouth most of the time. Regarding your leader, if the fish were 4-5 ft long, then your leader should have been a least that long and from 80-100 lb test (that's what I use when I target tarpon in my area). When tarpon jump, you bow to the fish, specially with braid (no stretch) so that when the fish drops, he doesn't fall on a tight line. Hope this helps in the future. Good fishing.

Hey thank you for all you guys I will definately take all the advice from you guys and here are my plans for next fishing trip

I'm going to use Fin-Nor OFS-95 and Penn SSm 950. OFS-95 is spooled up with 65lb 500yd powerpro and has 80lb 100yd topshop. Penn ssm has 300yd of 50lb powerpro and 65lb about 300yd for the topshot.

Im going to rig #7 Eagle Claw circle hook connected to about 5ft of 100lb mono leader and connect it to 400lb test swievel and put 1-2oz sinker with a bead in a front and finally, connect a main line on swievel.

And here is a little problem. I know only a one basic knot to tie all fishing lines... Clinch Knot... Do you guys have any recommendation of other types of knot??? With a name of knots or pics or anything would be greatly appreciated...

What knot you are using to get the power pro to the swivel. Most old knots used with mono don't work with power pro or any of the braids. One of the best for braid to swivel is a double polamar. Clinch or improved Clinch is the worst, it will fool you then pull out at any real strain.

Tarpon have a concrete mouth with sandpaper lips.

Peace

wht, exactly what redjeep said... go with the double polamar connecting your braid to the swivel. With your new leader etc you should be fine.

Glad to hear there are some fish showing up there. My parents were down for a month and a half right after the cold snap. You had to put in work just to land a few sheepheads.

Goodluck