Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
audiochem

Bunker-Brella

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Having recently moved to the area, I now have 1 full year of striper fishing under my belt and many thanks to some of you for putting me on the path, but I have some questions regarding bunker chunks to work through.

What are your favorite techniques for cutting bunker? What size chunks do you use? Do you de-scale first? Do you use strips or squares? Bones/no bones?

How often do you change bait? I've noticed either the surf, crabs, or something else whittles the meat down to nothing leaving only skin behind in a pretty short amount of time.

Perhaps I should just go with a bunker-brella and use a combination of all the above. smile.gif

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bunker Brella!? - Watch out you may just create a monster.

Personal preference, but pretty standard: Lop the head off right at back of gill plate (leave some meat behind if you are fishing heads) Then cut the belly off the remaining piece, and cut this into 4 baits. Keep non used baits on ice, (in a plastic bag then covered in ice is ideal).

Bait hook and Heave. Hold rod. Check bait every 10 min. Swap out when it looks haggered.

Also if there are alot of crabs around I usually pack up and move locations. Bunch of crabs walking around eating your baits means there are probably not many predators around or they would be toast.

Make sure your hook is big enough to handle the chunks. I was throwing blood woms and swithced to herring heads. I was too lazy to up the hook size. the hook was sticking out far enough so i thought I was good. Got a striper he did a run with the bait and another run. I lost the fish when i realed my line in the herring was on the hook but the tip of the hook was burried back in the herring. Don't be lazy!

Bunker-brella, how'd you hear about that ?!

Shhhhhh, it's a secret sharpie weapon used when the bunker are in.

Same technique as the clambrella (do a search)

as mentioned, the head with a bit of meat remaining behind it is good. the remaining part, tail removed, is also a good piece.

the fish might not hit a head as aggressively sometimes, but will eat a soft body chunk.

leave all bones and scales, and especially guts intact. bunker are a soft fish, bass will have no problem eating all of their parts.

View PostBunker-brella, how'd you hear about that ?!

Shhhhhh, it's a secret sharpie weapon used when the bunker are in.

Same technique as the clambrella (do a search)

ahh the infamous clambrella..

a true cow catcher!cwm40.gif

As a joke earlier this year I was in a popular B&T and went up to the guy behind the counter and asked him where he was hiding all his fresh clambrella's or if he was sold out. The look was pricelesscwm27.gif Then I asked him if he had any frozen...... and finally when he was getting more instock.....

Clambrella, what a fun game that iscwm27.gif

sea lice is what does that to your bait alot at night.. next time your using a head in the dark if you dont get a bite in 15 minutes reel it in and check wats in the head will make you sick..

I cut the head off between the dorsal and swim fins, then cut the remaining body into 1" strips down to the tail. I toss the tail. Run the hook around the bones for stability. Don't scale it. I usually replace every 15-45 minutes, depending on how strong the currents are. In the summertime when the fish are smaller, I will cut the strips in half lenghtwise and use a larger pompano or any heavy-duty hi-lo. These are great for cocktail blues and other tasty morsels. I do the same with mullet chunks (Except I scale the mullet chunks) after labor day.