Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ChrisC

Decent boat rod for about $100.00...?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Going on a boat trip this Sunday and I wanted to pick up a rod...going out for Stripers. Only have a spinning reel though so it's gotta be a spinning rod. Any suggestions? What size should I consider? Probably use Saltist 4500 reel. Though I do have a Daiwa Sealine bait runner. Not sure. Need help.

Get a Ugly Stick Tiger boat rod. Its your call spinning or conventional and also length. Get guides without the inserts (inserts pop out) Will set you back about $60.00. Will handle anything!

View PostI would say keep it 8ft or shorter. Are you chunking, drifting or using lures?

I think they would be chunking... but I would bring some lures if i take the Saltist. If there is bunker i'd like to live line one using a bait runner. Maybe i'll bring the bait runner instead of the Saltist.

You can go with the Shimano Trevala spin rod 6'6 50-100lb braid 110grams-240grams, can handle chunking from a boat but if they switch to jigging your covered as well. $110. They are better suited for jigging, i have used them for chunking off a boat but not a party boat.

If the tip on the Shimano rod tip is too fast for what you want to do then i can suggest a cheaper and better alternative. Also, party boat you should go with a rod over 7ft.

The Tsunami Trophy boat spin rods are a good buy for the money. At $85 you cant go wrong.

TSTBS-701MH

7'0" Medium Heavy

25-40lbs Line Rating

1/2-2oz

or a heavier rod

TSTBS-701H

7'0" Heavy

30-40lbs Line Rating

1-6oz

tsunami and tica make alot of rods in that price range that will work. its a matter of

1. what you can find in shops

2. which you liek the feel of

Tsunami is more sensitive and lighter in my experience, but tica will often have more backbone, less likely to crack,snap, whatever you want to call it.

Go to TD and check out the closeout specials on the star nickelite rods.If you order today, you should have by the weekend.I got mine in 2 days.

They're $69.00, local tackle shop had them for $149 - $179.

Very nice rod, and just an awesome price.

I also use a 7' tica dolphin for a spinning boat rod and I like that.

Ugly Stik Tiger, make sure its the "Lite" version. The Lite version has aluminum oxide guides, can handle braid no problem. I have one with a Daiwa Saltist on it, its a great, bullet proof combo.

Just picked up a 7' Penn Mariner spinning.. it's cheap. $30-40 and well made. A bit on the heavy side so the only sacrifice is sensitivity but not durability.. I don't boat fish much so I couldn't justify spending $100+ on a rod. If you're like me this rod's perfect for you.

View PostGo to TD and check out the closeout specials on the star nickelite rods.If you order today, you should have by the weekend.I got mine in 2 days.

They're $69.00, local tackle shop had them for $149 - $179.

Very nice rod, and just an awesome price.

I also use a 7' tica dolphin for a spinning boat rod and I like that.

+2