Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Charlie M

The Whip finish

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

So I got a vise and various tools over the weekend and decided to get started on learning on how to tie since i am home from work for the day. I have a book on tying freshwater because I figure the basics are the same and it was given to me. So I start out trying to tie the whip finish. After 4 hours of not suceeding, it is a mystery to me. I thought i was doing it right, but then it seemed to come loose too easily. My questions are these. Is there any tricks that make it easier? Are there better illustrations that I could follow and how do you use the tool for the whip finish? Any help to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Charlie,

Well, good question, the problem is the whip finisher, once learned, is actually a very simple tool to use. The problem I'm having is how to put it into words and I'm coming up blank. This is more of a visual learning experience.

I have one question for you, are you using the Martarelli whip finisher or one of the other brands? The reason I ask is because in my experiences the Martarelli is the easiest of the bunch to use. We just had a friend that is in the same boat as you, come over the other night spinning the whip finisher in his hand. He told us I can figure everything out except this little thing, but it sure is cool.

My suggestion to you is to find someone to sit down with that has experience with the whip finisher so you can get a demonstration, I don't even know of a book off hand that would explain it in detail. The whip finisher is soo difficult to explain that I've personally never seen one come with instructions.

Good luck in your quest for knowledge.

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

Dubs,

I am using the renzetti on (I think). It looks pretty much the same.

I found a link that explains it a bit clearer for anyone that is interested. http://www.mwflytying.com/tools/mat_whip.html

I think that i have figured it out. My problem was when i was wrapping it, i wasn't threading the hook through the loop. Hopefully i am now doing it correctly. Thanks for your help.

Charlie,

Glad you were able to find some useful information on the Whip finisher.

I'm sitting here with Tim right now and we are working on a step by step picture illustrated whip finishing tutorial with the digital cammera. Hopefully we'll have it on the board by tomorrow, if we're feeling really ambitious we may add a 60 video clip to accompany it. I'll keep you posted, your not the first person to have difficulty with the elusive whip finisher.

Good luck with the new equipment.

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

Tim,

How about a pictorial on hand whip finishing also?

I've been doing it this way for years .

It lets you whip finish anywhere on the hook not just at the eye like some whip finishers and you never have to hunt on the tying table for it.

KenM

The mystery of the whip finisher. I looked at it played with it never figured it out. Charlie showed me how it works its so easy its sickening, but man was a mystery looking at that bent piece of wire.......

------------------

John M

I'm used to the hand whip finish myself; never did try one those tools. There's a fair illustration of this tie in the revised edition of the Sosin / Kreh "Practical Fishing Knots" book; probably a better one somewhere else.

I've been tying flies for about 10 years now, and still have yet to figure out the whip finisher. I use my fingers also and I think I've got it right using that method. I was never formally taught how to whip finish using either the tool or finger method, but using the finger method, my flies rarely come undone. Unless they've had a tangle with Mr. Razor Lips.

JimK

I don't use a tool either. The book that I learned the basics from was pretty old (by a gal named Shaw); written back when people had their bobin located on the tying table and had a rubber stopper to maintain thread tension when not wrapping. Anyway, so far doing a wrap knot by hand has been pretty easy but I haven't tested any of my teasers against fish yet so durability is in question. We shall see...

Andy

To me a whip finisher is nice for freshwater(can I say that word)flies.That 6/0 was always getting caught up on my rough fingertips, so I used a whip finisher and liked its quickness and once you learned to use it, it was pretty simple. But with these larger saltwater flies and heavier thread I can whip finish by hand just as quick and its one less tool crowding or getting lost on the bench. Besides, I soak all my heads with zap-a-gap, so durability isn't really a issue.

my 2 cents

Frank

The whip finish or half hitches merely secure the thread. The head cement is what gives it its durability or lack there of. I, like Nanz, have been using Super Glue as head cement for quite a few years. It binds the thread and material into a solid mass. Your flies will last a lot longer if you use Super Glue for your head cement. You can even skip any type of knot to fisnish off your fly.

Just don't glue your fingers together!

Well, tonight I will finally get a chance to do the whip finish pictures that we spoke about! Once they are done, I will put a link to them under that articles section from the main page. I'll also have to do a narrative...that's why it will end up under that artcles section! Stay tuned...I'm starting to get caught up...be prepared for another flurry of new things! biggrin.gif

TimS

BTW: I agree, whip finish is absolutelty necessary with lighter threads and smaller flies. I do find myself using the whip finisher on almost everything, just for the sake of convenience! Also, like MikeF said, Zap-A-Gap...don't even need a knot with that stuff!

Posted (edited) · Report post

I can’t even begin to try and explain the steps. But when I still fly fished and tied flies many many years ago. I was taught how to whip finish by hand without a tool. It is actually quite simple, but I am at a loss for how too explain the steps. 

Edited by Fishjerk

1 hour ago, Fishjerk said:

I can’t even begin to try and explain the steps. But when I still fly fished and tied flies many many years ago. I was taught how to whip finish by hand without a tool. It is actually quite simple, but I am at a loss for how too explain the steps. 

It can be shown but not explained

Unless you're tying microscopic trout fly's, it's easier to do it by hand