Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sodabiscuit12345

Are stripers good fighters?

Rate this topic

71 posts in this topic

Im curious to know if it is only me that feels likes stripers are not good fighting fish.

I should mention that I have not caught many different fish from shore, nor have I caught many stripers as Ive only fished for them for a total of 4-5 seasons.

From shore, Ive caught flukes, flounders, blackfish, bluefish, stripers, cod, pollack all 5 species of pacific salmon and halibut.

The biggest striper I ever got was just under 40 inches and was a pretty fat for my standards as I dont fish the east coast regularly.

When I think of the fights Ive had with stripers of 35+ inches, I am always so surprised at how easy they are to bring in, compared to any other fish of similar size.

I would rate bluefish, blackfish, halibut, and any 5 pacific salmon as pound-for-pound better fighters than the striper.

Is this just my imagination/inexperience or do any of you guys feel that the striper is not a great fighter?

I feel the same way sortof. I catch bluefish a lot and they feel like they are fighting twice as hard as a striped bass double its size. Thats mainly why when I go for stripers, I use my lighter rod. smile.gif

in general no, but under certain conditions they can be great fighters. very shallow water being the main one in my opinion. a 30# fish in 3' of water will go insane and be a lot of fun, and tough to land, while a 30# fish on a sandy beach, with deeper water, will come in after 1 or 2 decen runs (generally). also, you run into those fish once in a while that don't fight at all, and on the other hand, the ones that won't die. i had a fish tonight, with 2 trebles in it's face, that had me thinking. it took good drag on the first run, and wouldnt give me anything easily the whole way in, turned out to be no more than 15#.

View Postbtw out of the species you listed, a 10# blackfish will tow around and drown a 20#'r of all the other species, imo.

Agreed

Tog are my favorite fish to target.

I have been fishing for bass with light tackle and havent caught one over 30" and they are pretty fun

You certainly can't compare them to bluefish. I would say most of the stripers I catch (90%) put up a good fight and then there are those that really don't fight much at all. Then again there are those blues that won't fight ya either.

I tend to agree. They are real fun to catch especially on a Fly rod ,but they don't fight like others. ( The smaller one's fight better! I guess they are young & Dumb & full of Chum! cwm27.gif )

Pound for Pound give me a Permit or a Tarpon.

My biggest bass, so far, was a 30 pounder. I was fishing with live eel from a boat and drifting, it hit like a TRUCK! Then it felt like dead weight comming up, then when I saw it I thought it was dead, haha.

I have fought small mouth bass with more fight in them. Although the last striper I caught was only 27 inches and was going NUTS!

Just depends on the individual fish I guess.

It all depends, I have caught some fish upwards of 18 pounds that have rolled over and died, then a 12 pounder that fought like a pit bull. I think this time of year a lot of fish we catch are just tired from the long swim they made from the south and thats why it seems they just come right in.

My biggest bass, 32 pounds, fought much less vigorously than the 15 pound bluefish I've caught. I also think a 20 pound 'tog could drown a 20 pound blue and bass at the same time.

Strictly my .02 here.

I think the are elegant fighters. They do not get insane and they do not go beserker.

What I love is the 'take' from striper. They hit like a freight train and catching them on topwater is very exciting. They are also crafty and will take you deep and tangle your line on rocks and other structure. They make you feel their heft and shoulders. You feel like you are hooked up to something substantial rather than something frenetic. Regal, if you will.

True they tire after a spell. But they also do not destroy your gear or impale themselves and you like a blue can. They are easy to handle and release.

They are just a clean fighting fish that always leaves me awaiting the next round.

View Post

Pound for Pound give me a Permit or a Tarpon.

After fighting a 30lb amberjack you'll be lying on the deck shaking like a bowl of jello. There are definately stronger/faster fish than a striped bass, but I don't think it's necessarily the fight that causes people to obsess over them.

stripers are not good fighters overall but u always get the exceptional one.. a legit 8+ lb bluefish will fight harder than most 30lb+ striped bass... Completely different fight though