Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
richs

Mouse flies for trout

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Anyone ever actually catch a trout on one? If so what pattern do you like? There's a youtube vid of a mouse bite in NZ that's rediculous.

Yep....up on the Ausable in the Adirondacks. One of the local guides gave me one to use....damned if I remember the pattern. It was pretty big though. Caught a 4-1/2 lb brown in one of the many deep pools on that river. This is all after dark, of course. You'd be amazed how rivers come alive with fish you have no idea are there. I cast this mouse tight up against the overhanging bank, stripped it back about 3 ft and that's when the explosion came....and I mean explosion. They do work and they work well.

I fished nothing but Bombers (thumb-sized spun deer hair flies popular in New Brunswick for Atlantic Salmon years ago) for browns in Colorado after dark. I figure the big browns thought they were field mice.

They worked very well.

Cheers,

Jim

I fish a foam mouse. No fancy whiskers, ears or tails. Just a mousy outline from the trout's perspective.

I had several fish attack it on the dream stream last summer and landed one brown in the 16" range.

I have tied them on tubes but friends keep taking them for their cats headscratch.gif

I don't know how well they woudl work on the average NJ stream. I think our browns average a bit smaller than in some of the other waters mentioned. IF you are specifically hunting for that trophy though, it might be a good tactic.

Mouse fishing is usually a "night bite" and it's surprising how big some Trout are that you never see. i like to use the Morrish Mouse pattern.

I personally have never fished a mouse pattern, just havent gotten around to it yet, and I do mean yet. I have a couple flies in line for a swim soon.

I know of a few guys who do it locally in CT, and have caught some big browns, up to 28"!!!

Recently on another forum a well respected member was on a small stream and saw a mouse playing along the bank early morning, it went for a swim across and was inhaled in a few seconds by something big. This was a stream you could jump across.

Try it and let us know, you may be surprised.

I just ordered some flies and threw in a river rodent pattern to try some night fishing myself. Had good luck fishing big muddlers last fall at night.

Another fly I want to try is George Harveys Night Pusher Fly. I have only seen one photo and will try to tie some up based on that. I got the idea from reading Jim Bashlines Night Fishing For Trout.

Of course after reading that I had to get Georges book too.

Mouse flies are one category of fly that I haven't seen in a photo here. The first guy to post a shot of a fish w/rodent will be ... the first ever. Here, anyway.

In short, yes, mouse patterns are extremely effective for big trout, especially in the dark of night. During the summer heat, many of the largest trout in a river won't even feed during the day. Large trout eat small trout and salmon parr, why not mice? Night time is the right time during the dog-days of July and August. I use a 6 or 7 wgt., a head lamp and a stripping basket. Not the biggest, but an example a mouse-caught brown in CT:

pig1.jpg

Does anyone have the link to that short film shot, I believe, in New Zealand of the "mouse run"?

The cinematography was amazing as were the fishing scenes. It goes with this thread, I can't find it. Thanks

O