Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Snaggedlines

$60 Sealed reel?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I was at work today and we were talking about surf spinning reels and two guys said they bought Salt Striker reels from Cabelas and claimed they had sealed drags and gears. I said that sound too good to be true but they claim it's true.

Taken right from the Cabelas website:

Our Salt Strikerâ„¢ Reels are built to withstand the rugged saltwater environment, while presenting premium-grade features at affordable prices. Nine ball bearings and one roller bearing provide a super-smooth drive, while the instant anti-reverse delivers stout, slack-free hooksets. The three-piece machined aluminum spool with a titanium lip produces extended casting distances. A Hydro Shieldâ„¢ multi-disc front drag system adjusts quickly and keeps out water and debris. They also have a titanium-plated ceramic line roller, and a rugged, sealed housing. And the machined aluminum handle can be switched to right or left-handed retrieve.

The new salt striker is made by pflueger. I think it is like their "president" series. It's a very solid reel. Can't comment on the housing being sealed. For short money the reel seems to be a good value. In addition you get the extra spool. I can't see why it would not hold up with some reasonable maintenance. Plus you get an unconditional one year warranty from Cabelas.

sounds like it has some feature to resist water, like from splashing etc., but they do not say it is specifically "sealed."

If it is from Okuma, they seem to make reels with lots of great features like that, but on a reel that does not last.

View Post

If it is from Okuma, they seem to make reels with lots of great features like that, but on a reel that does not last.

I agree. But if its from Flueger then maybe its worth a shot.

View Postsounds like it has some feature to resist water, like from splashing etc., but they do not say it is specifically "sealed."

It does specifically say "sealed".

"They also have a titanium-plated ceramic line roller, and a rugged, sealed housing."

View PostTaken right from the Cabelas website:

Our Salt Strikerâ„¢ Reels are built to withstand the rugged saltwater environment, while presenting premium-grade features at affordable prices. Nine ball bearings and one roller bearing provide a super-smooth drive, while the instant anti-reverse delivers stout, slack-free hooksets. The three-piece machined aluminum spool with a titanium lip produces extended casting distances. A Hydro Shieldâ„¢ multi-disc front drag system adjusts quickly and keeps out water and debris. They also have a titanium-plated ceramic line roller, and a rugged,sealed housing.

Sounds like "sealed" gears to me....

i have tried one. probabaly not a bad reel for $60. but its $60 so dont expect it to perform and withstand the elements like a more expensive reel. truth is for a saltwater spinning reel if it lasts 2-3 yrs for $60 thats not bad if thats what you are looking for