Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stryperStalker

building MOJO

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Of all the things that I've learned about building plugs, the one thing I never thought twice about was MOJO. I bring at least one of my plugs out with me on every trip. They swim just like they should. They look just like the plugs that I catch fish on. But yet I can't get the fish to hit them.

Whenever I get a fish on a "commercial" plug, I think to myself "if I had only thrown one of my own plugs, I would have caught this fish on it."

Is my wood cursed? Can the fish tell that I'm a noob and they don't like my tail wraps?

I cover them with bunker scent, I use every retrieval speed and technique in the book. What more can I do?!?!

Shooting from the hip here, Stryper: you might bring twenty of your own plugs out with you and leave all the commercials at home. Don't the fish the pleasure of choice. Are you using sharp VMC hooks?

View PostShooting from the hip here, Stryper: you might bring twenty of your own plugs out with you and leave all the commercials at home. Don't the fish the pleasure of choice. Are you using sharp VMC hooks?

Hooks are brand new. It's not that I'm dropping fish. They simply aren't hitting my lures.

There are times where I strike out when using the commercial plugs, so it's just as much an issue of the fish not being there. But I'm starting to get a bit frustrated.

I'm right there with you Stryper Stalker, I haven't got a hit yet on my lures or anyone else's this year so far. The only time I have been able to get a hit is when I fish clams, but I'd much rather be plugging. The way I look at it, our time is coming, maybe tomorrow morning.

View PostShooting from the hip here, Stryper: you might bring twenty of your own plugs out with you and leave all the commercials at home. Don't the fish the pleasure of choice. Are you using sharp VMC hooks?

Hi Stryper Stalker,

Not sure if im qualified to comment as I've never even caught a striper ( there aren't any in the UK where I livefrown.gif) . But I have fished a few years with articial lures. Mostly fish for Pike ( plugs only ) and Trout (flies only). I make 95% of my own flies and ,since start of this season only, all my own plugs.

Anyway first IMHO agree with okisutch. If you only carry your own plugs, at least for the types you are fairly happy with, then you will catch sooner or later. The more you catch the more confident you will get and the better you will fish them. Make your own MOJO. smile.gif

Secondly, my experience has been that the point at which I stopped worrying about the exact fly or lure and started to put almost all my thoughts into working out fish behaviour and start to (very slowly) piece together a little of where, when, how and on what they are feeding through the year was the point at which my catch rate started to slowly but steadily improve.

This was also the point at which I found fishing less frustrating & more enjoyable.

If on occasions by luck, hard work or genius an angler can work out where, when what and how the fish are feeding on their natural food then IMHO there are should be plenty of fish to be caught by applying this knowledge using quite crude copies, as long as they are fished in a natural way.

IMHO Lures do matter, but are only secondary, until the other elements are in place trying to work out which lure to use is just shooting in the dark.

Please Dont get me wrong, I am finding this a slow, never ending and often difficult process. I still get skunked plenty of times, sometimes often enough to be embarrassing redface.gif. Often other fishermen catch more and bigger fish faster than me. But I doubt if many enjoy themselves moresmile.gif . Getting skunked bugs me lots less now as I feel I am learning even when I dont catch. Rather than worrying about what lure to put on as a random search every time out, I'm looking for clues to help slowly add little pieces to the jigsaw.

For example just concentrating my fishing to areas where certain water birds feed has made a big improvement to catch rate at certain times of year.

If we found it easy it would soon get boring biggrin.gif.

Tight Lines - Lurch

Could be any number of things. Course, not having one of your plugs in front of me I cannot comment on that part wink.gif Something to consider, when you reach for a plug in your bag, why do you grab the one you do? If it isn't one of yours, why not? May be its just a confidence thing. In that case, try them out during a blitz as suggested above. That way you'll catch and know they work. Second, when you throw your plugs, are you throwing them in the areas they'll swim best? Are you throwing them during peak times?

I know when I am working on something new I'll fish the hell out of it in a number of different areas to get a better feel for it. After the "look at my cool new plug" wears off, I can better evaluate the plug. Does it really work the way I wanted it too? What reaction am I getting from the fish? This will tell me whether I need to modify something on the plug, or if its good as is.

Interesting thoughts Lurch icon14.gif

Jigman

Stop throwing commercial plugs. Throw your own, learn how to make them better and adjust when needed. Fishing with your own will make you a better builder. It will also teach you something about other aspects of building other than "does it swim" or "will it catch". Stay at it and fish your stuff....you will be rewarded.

You need to figure out how to work your plugs so that they catch fish in the environment you're fishing. Are they the right size & profile for the location? What speed works? Pauses? Listen to what the others are saying. I spent many days getting skunked on Mike D plugs. Now they're all I use in FW and I catch lots of nice Large and Smallmouth bass on them.

I've caught tons of blues and a few stripers on them but I live 2 1/2 hrs from the salt so I only get there 4 or 5 times a year unfortunately. redface.gif

Good Luck!