Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigEarn

Cabo 40 PTS Washer Issue.

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any experience with assembling, disassembling, or maintaining a Quantum Cabo 40 PTS Reel? On the schematic there is a pinion washer (#30) and there is a "drive gear washer" (#32d)[which by the way is miss numbered it should be #31d]. To my question. Can someone take some pictures of the two and let me know what the difference is? One is stainless, Quantum says this is the pinion washer. The other appears to be brass shims??? Are these brass shim indeed (#32d) or am I missing (#32d) some mysterious washer. The drive gear has too much play in it when reassembled and appears to be from the lack of this mysterious (#32d). Just trying to clear some things up. Thanks.

I'm looking at the schematics, you are right about the parts being wrong.... Washer 32D (parts list 31D) is a very very thin washer. Double check on the Drive Gear (31C), it's so thin if you didn't know it was there u wouldn't look for it. Use a very pointy or a sharp edge to see if you can find the edge to lift it off. Make sense? If not i can take a pic tonight and post it.

Keith

Thanks, I will take a look asap. Question... If this is the case and this thin washer is there. Do you know why the drive gear would have excessive movement horizontally speaking within the reel housing? So much so that the drive gear could slip on the pinion if I tried to reel the reel while pulling "out" on the handle? Also, do you know if your #30 stainless steel?

With out seeing the reel, i couldn't tell you directly. The pinion gear washer is i'm guessing stainless, it's not brass like the others. Also, i've only had 1 of the brass washer on the drive gear.

But check to see if the Pinion Busing is in place (part #31B) this could possibly give the pinion gear (part #31) some play if its not in place.

I'll be working on my Cabo 50 tonight, i'll see what i come up with. And post what i find tonight

Keith

Thanks alot Kieth. If you could take pics that would be great. I realy want to look inside. Yes the pinion washer is ss. Yes the bushing is in. It is more of too much play in the drive gear. Thanks again a let me know what you find out.

John

John, check you PMs - Never mind you can't get PMs yet.

I have 4 Cabos 20,30,40,50 I service all of them myself. Never had that problem with any of them.

If the reel is not fishable, and you'd like for me to look at it, i will.

I'd me more than happy to help you out. Obviously you'd have to ship it to me.

Let me know.

Keith

So I call Quantum a few days ago and they sent me (2) PINION WASHERS in the mail. I was expecting to get two of the SS washers in the mail... But to my surprise I opened the package and inclosed were (2) brass wahsers. So... This means that the pinion wahser is not SS but indeed brass and that Quantum was wrong about what they told me over the phone... To clear things up part # 30 the Pinion Washer is a very thin brass washer. Part # 32D (which should be part # 31d) is a thicker SS washer. If anyone else needs clerification on this please let me know. I will be calling Quantum on Monday to let them know about their screw up. Thanks Keith, next time you take one of your Cabo's apart check and see which way you have it setup and let me know.

John

Yes, I have installed the new washer, I put the SS washer back on the "drive gear" and it has fixed all my problems. When I put the SS washer on the pinion and reassembeled the reel, the clutch bearing was putting too much pressure on the pinion bearing, because of the added thickness of the ss washer restricting the pinion gear from spinning. Problem 1. Problem 2 was that there was too much play in the handle once it was scewed into the "drive gear" this is because the SS washer that should have been on the drive gear filling in the "gaps" was not, so it allowed lateral movment. Did, you get a chance to take on of your reels apart. Where is your SS washer?