Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ESyakr

Frontside flounder?

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

I fish the E shore seaside, inshore, in my kayak. When inshore waters warm in the hot months, and the flounder are stacked around the inlets for the cooler temps, I was wondering if they could be caught using the same methods on the frontside, just off the beach? Its not really necessary, but it would be something new to try. I'd appreciate any information, thanks.

I tend to see more flounder from the surf caught in late July through September but I still think you'd do better to target them in the bays and inlets rather than the surf.

Flounder typically are found where there are unique changes in bottom contour. For the most part, the biggest changes in bottom contour in the surf occur where the breakers crash the beach, so the most productive fishing would be fishing the breaks near the wash (IMO). So unless you can conjure a way to drift fish this wash (while negotiating the breakers) I think you'd be better off drifting inshore. That is unless you are content catching a few flounder here and there!

they are all over the surf in the summer months. salt water sportsman had a rig tied in it, several years ago, called a sneaky pete. highly effective. cast just behind the shore brake. caught many other spices on it as well. the idea for surf flounder though is you have to move. walk the beach. just like drifting in a boat.

Yes, I have done this numerous times when fishing ESVA barrier islands... many times we (family) will beach the boat on the backside of the inlet to stretch or legs or have lunch. I will take a spinning rod, rigged with a smaller bucktail and minnow, then cast and walk along the beach if the surf's not too rough. Have caught many Flounder in the sloughs between the breakers and beach.

I would NOT want to do that in a boat or kayak, but fun from the beach. It is better mid to late summer when the inside water is warm. Also, incoming tide, drift the inlet area into the various bays or creeks as opposed to the flats.

Night

Steep sloping beach with a good shore break. The steeper the better.

1/4 - 1/2 oz. jig head with a plastic fishy ie. fin-s, bass assassin, gulp shad. Tip it with a stripbait ie. flounder ribbon, squid strip, shark belly. Or don't overlook small plugs, flounder get very aggressive at night and will come way off the bottom. I've caught them waking a floating needlefish.

Fish it RIGHT behind the shore break, cast near parallel to the beach casting up-current. Reel in just fast enough to keep in contact with the jig. As has been said the flounder will be right in the gully formed by the shore break.

You can catch them there in the daytime too, but it's umpteen times better at night. Plus the fish run bigger.

View PostNight

Steep sloping beach with a good shore break. The steeper the better.

1/4 - 1/2 oz. jig head with a plastic fishy ie. fin-s, bass assassin, gulp shad. Tip it with a stripbait ie. flounder ribbon, squid strip, shark belly. Or don't overlook small plugs, flounder get very aggressive at night and will come way off the bottom. I've caught them waking a floating needlefish.

Fish it RIGHT behind the shore break, cast near parallel to the beach casting up-current. Reel in just fast enough to keep in contact with the jig. As has been said the flounder will be right in the gully formed by the shore break.

You can catch them there in the daytime too, but it's umpteen times better at night. Plus the fish run bigger.

That sounds like a heck of a good time.

View PostYes, I have done this numerous times when fishing ESVA barrier islands... many times we (family) will beach the boat on the backside of the inlet to stretch or legs or have lunch. I will take a spinning rod, rigged with a smaller bucktail and minnow, then cast and walk along the beach if the surf's not too rough. Have caught many Flounder in the sloughs between the breakers and beach.

I would NOT want to do that in a boat or kayak, but fun from the beach. It is better mid to late summer when the inside water is warm. Also, incoming tide, drift the inlet area into the various bays or creeks as opposed to the flats.

This would work better at ESVA than OC or AI.

View PostThis would work better at ESVA than OC or AI.

YES, agreed. That's where I do 99% of my Flounder and Drum fishing, the barrier islands of ESVA...

Hey Plug that sounds like fun! Now that I have 4wd I plan on doing this! Used to be I had to drag my beach cart over the dunes to fish and you had to keep your tackle at a minimum!

Some of you guys probably saw some crazy fool dragging a cart a half mile into the orv section. That was me.kooky.gif

Anyway as a freshwater fisherman I catch a lot of fish at low light. Before dawn mostly. Got me wondering. I have caught too many largemouths to count on black spinnerbaits (with trailer hooks) over the years. Why wouldn't a freshwater bait work in the suds? I know they won't last very long cause of the salt water ( without care) but I have caught trout at Roosevelt Inlet on husky jerks. Wondering why a black spinnerbait cast behind the breakers with a strip bait on the hooks slow rolled won't catch fish????

For that matter a muskie bucktail will work too! A Mepps Muskie Marabou is a 8" long bait that pulses and will catch anything. How about a 6" believer? Batteries are dead now on the camera but I will post some pics later and see what you guys think.

Spinnerbaits, both big safety pin and regular bass spinnerbaits, are all the rage for red fishing now. I've also heard of big inline spinners being used for rock. The freshwater spinnerbaits are also getting popular for flounder fishing. They will last fine in the salt, just spray em down good with a hose when you get home.

Here is a pic of just a few of the freshwater baits that I feel will work in the salt. First two are 6" believers. Now they won't cast a mile but see they have two line ties? The shallower one will keep this bait a foot or two under the surface and it has great action on the straight retrieve. Hook up to the deeper line tie and you can probably get it do dig bottom in the surf.

Next is the suick. Won't cast far again but this is a surface bait that you pull and it will dart and dive down a couple feet and then rise back up.

Then the mepps muskie marabou. You can pulse the marabou skirt by pumping the reel handle quicker on one turn every so often as you retrieve. This will cast far.

Finally is the chatterbait made by musky innovations. That blade on front will rattle your elbows! Now this bait won't be very good with blues around unless you have lots of trailers.

momspics414.jpg

Hey Plug,

What about a bucktail and a pork rind/strip? White b/t and red and white for the moonlit nights and black b/t and purple for the dark nights? Ever try any? Any luck?