Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RippinLipps

Penn, Crack, Luxor...Oh My

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Hello guys first post here. Have been reading for a while , but would just like to get a better command of a few reels that you guys discuss.

Looking to get a couple reels and trying to compare the routs. I realize that the VS and ZB are the head honchos followed by the Penn 706/z. Baring availability how do the 704/z, Crack 300/200, Luxor fallow the leaders.

Mind you I have an affinity for older well made fly reels so I kind of carry that into casting to the surf. I would be drilling and trying to upgrade as best as I can. However, If one is impractical it's impractical.

What are your opinions.

RLs

Well, i think the 706Z or 704Z would be the reel for you. 706Z if you want bailess and 704Z if you want a bail. There are easy to maintain, easy to drill and restore, easy to get parts for, stand the test of time. Pack them good with grease and they can be dunked just clean them out here and there if you use them alot. I think those 2 reels are much better then the crack/luxors. Less parts for failure. If you want to get the reel drilled and powder coated contact DaveT here on SOL, he does nice work.

I have to agree with Slick on the Penn's but must add the Crack/Luxor are two of the tuff est reels ever made but very heavy for all night casting and parts are near impossible to find in NOS.frown.gif

Thanks for the replies fellas. If I had the 704 I would make her manual. So is capacity the only real difference then between the 04/06 and how much of a trade off is it. What specific ocean fishing were each intended for surf/rocks?

RLs