Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Raven01

Ready to replace my guides but...

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am planning to change the guides on an old 6 foot bass rod. The problem is that I want to add an extra guide (the rod came only with 5+tiptop), and this means changing the position of all the guides. When I remove guides I am always left with some marks on the blank and in this case I am not sure about doing this operation. If I change the positions I am sure that I will have to deal with some marks left on the blank which would look awful on the finished rod. confused.gif

Any idea on how to do this operation without leaving any visible marks on the blank?. If you tell me that it is unavoidable I will just skip this project and change only the original 5 guides. frown.gif

Thanks in advance.

Ray

You know how to remove all the guides, re-configure them and wrap them on again, but not how to strip & prepare a blank? Maybe I don't get the question.

The problem is that whenever I strip some old guide there is some mark left on the blank. For instance some small scratches, blemishes, all caused by the previous guides and epoxy. Even if I am careful with the razor blade I still dont get it perfect. Does it make sense?

I find I can take guides off in most of the time without marking the original finish. Only use the blade to slice away the thread over the metal foot area. Before doing that, hit the wrap with a burst of air from a hair dryer on hot or heat gun on medium low. Now do the slice and use your thumbnail to peel and work away the thread. Hit it with another burst from the hair dryer and then use a craft stick to rub away the stuck on finish

The craft stick is wood so in most cases wont damage the blank finish but hard enough to wear away the warmed old epoxy. The friction from the stick onto the epoxy also helps further heat and soften. take your time and you should get a perfectly clean blank. Glossy blanks are easy to do this way