Muskogeee

Noob question about VS and ZeeBaaS etc.

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

they are 100 percent water proof.

and can handle sandy environments.

Thats it.

I bought one because:

1. Waterproof reel needed for me deep wading releasing fish in deep water reel gets dunked. Absolutely not wanting to mess with non waterproof reels with this

2. Waterproof needed to use my 10 foot stick as a staff instead of a ski pole style wading staff at places like Cutty etc. Absolutely hate dragging around a wading staff

3. Wetsuit wading, getting from A to B reel gets dunked, just less headaches

-=-=

Perks that came with my VS that were icing on the cake:

Very powerful reel

bailless

well made, etc

good luck to you

If you need one you would already know it.

If you need to ask, you don't do the type of fishing that requires one.

If you come home soaked after you fish, look into one.

View PostIf you need one you would already know it.

If you need to ask, you don't do the type of fishing that requires one.

If you come home soaked after you fish, look into one.

I think i would also add, when you hook a good fish (and you will know when you do) and your drag is not where it needs to be to help you control and land the fish then you should look into it.

Other than that I would agree with George. if you have to ask you probably should get a different reel.

These reels are very expensive. That means they are much better than cheaper reels. If VS and ZB come out with new models next year, they will cost more that the current models and will therefore be better reels.

FACT: Expensive reels catch bigger fish

The big difference is that a VS or ZB will last longer then 10 $150 reels. My VS is 12 years old. They are completely watertight. Not that you can't get a good reel for $150 to $200. If your reel is going to be used hard in the salt and you can afford one, they are the best. If not, buy the best you can afford.

They are the reels that allowed Skishing to happen.

If you owned either one, and fished it to its limits, just once, you would understand instantly.

I own at least 40 reels by many differant manufacturers, all collecting dust in my barn for the last 4 years. The Zee never stays home.

The simple fact of the matter is that today's $150 reels are not as well made as a basic Penn 700 series Spinfisher--which originally sold for around 35 bucks.

Serious fishermen demand quality equipment that's reliable (who wants to walk a mile over sand, or swim 100 yards to a rock and have a reel crap out?) and durable season after season. And are willing to pay a premium for that equipment. The manufacturers know this and charge what they feel the market will bear---and they're usually right on the money wink.gif

icon14.gif

View PostThe simple fact of the matter is that today's $150 reels are not as well made as a basic Penn 700 series Spinfisher--which originally sold for around 35 bucks.

Serious fishermen demand quality equipment that's reliable (who wants to walk a mile over sand, or swim 100 yards to a rock and have a reel crap out?) and durable season after season. And are willing to pay a premium for that equipment. The manufacturers know this and charge what they feel the market will bear---and they're usually right on the money wink.gif

icon14.gif

I like the way you put it. I like to fishing knowing that my gear will hold up. With all the running aroud we do on a day to day basis and between the up keep of a new house. I cant be bothered with breaking down reels and maitnance. I want to grab my rod and go. MY VS&ZB allow my to fish and not worry about anything being serviced or breaking. I dont even rinse them off. I dunk my Plug bag in a bucket to rinse off the salt and let it drip dry on my fence. TIght lines

No, many reels offer high quality. VS and ZB are the only reels designed with one specific quality........to keep going when the going gets tough. There are far fancier/smoother/more elegant (and even stronger) reels out there that are nicer to fish if you can be reasonably careful when using them.

Again, if you are not getting soaked when you fish, you don't NEED one (though you may still decide to use one). The ZB and VS are SURF reels, not beach or boat reels.

The VS and ZB were specifically designed to be surf reels (leaving aside the Gen 1 ZB sand jamming issues, which they resolved) fit for any surfcasting application. Including skishing.

Saltigas (including Dogfights) and Stella SWs are top quality reels, that are every bit as strong. They're sealed well enough for 97% of surfcasting applications. I know people who have swum to offshore rocks with Saltigas. Whether they're sealed well enough to be cranked underwater, I'm not the guy to ask. I'll never be in a position to offer first hand testimony cwm27.gif The Saltigas can be sand sensitive, but can be dunked to clear sand jams. I can tell you that after being beat to crap in the Canal for the better part of 5 seasons without ever having the side plate off, my Saltiga 6000-Z cranks as smoothly today as when I first took it out of the box. The line roller bearing is shot--that's my fault. Lack of service. The roller still turns but the bearing sounds like a coffee grinder.

I don't know whether the other true high end spinning reel, the Accurate Twin-Spin, is sealed. But certainly the smaller size could be used in most surf casting applications.

There are a few JDM Shimano and Daiwa models that merit consideration, too. At least one of them--the Daiwa Catalina--is purported to be sealed.

I'm not familiar with Okuma's product line and whether they a) have sealed models and b) if so, how effectively they're sealed.