Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Will K

Another blue fish leader question

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Ok gang, in the past with spinning gear I've used steel leaders if blues were round. On the fly, my plan was 40-50lb flouro... But I got to thinking over the weekend, what about braid? How's braid hold up to a blue? I have no idea how it would turn over on the fly - seems a little "loose" so it may not be any good... but it makes me curious if it would work - and if it would hold up to blues as an option?

braid is no good, use a short piece of wire, you can buy the fancy fly fishing wire or you could use the cheap Berkley coated wire which works just as well, the trick is how to tie knots in the wire

Scientific Anglers also makes a leader with a wire tip to it and a small clip for attaching the fly. Very convenient and you don't have to worry about tying.

If there is any possibility of bass being in the mix I like to go with a shock tippet of 60 pound fluro tied to the end of my leader via an albright knot. With that you will land 90% of the blues you hook and have a lot better chance of hooking bass. With the wire you can pretty much count on zero bass hookups.

I might have to change my opinion if I saw more BIG, teen-plus bluefish, but tying an epoxy Surf Candy on a long-shanked hook has generally been good enough for me. (None of the blue-light gels, yet, I have lots of epoxy to use and don't notice a smell.)

I have been using Tyger knottable leader, natural brown color, for blues and have had good luck with it, no complaints. Also tried tying a fly on a long shank hook near the bend, using the shank as a partial leader. It works until you hook a large blue, then they can reach the leader near the eye and at least scrape it up. I might try pattons idea with the 60lb fluoro especially when both blues and bass are together in the mix. Blues are sure a lot of fun on a 10wt.

circles get caught in the corner so it is not subject to all of their teeth.

I use a snook type of shock leader i do 18 mono to 30 lb mono and it works well and does not put off the stripers and it lasts for 4-5 fish and re-tieing only takes a few seconds. Just my idea, i usually use it for blues from 1-7lbs

Have had good results with American Fishing Wire Surflon Micro Supreme; 26-pound test for back bay, 45-pound test for out front. So long as you pull the tag end and not the standing leg of the wire, it does not kink. Pull the standing part while drawing the knot tight and you get a corkscrew looking leader.

And circles work wonders on bluefish. Blues usually turn away after the strike, and at that turn away, the circle slides into the corner of the mouth for a virtual automatic hook-up - free of teeth. Mustand's C71S/SS is what I usually use. Works fine.

Snap swivel for fly fishing? I've met guys that used tiny Duolock snaps and they worked fine, but heavy hardware would seem to kill the fly's action.

60# flouro (or mono) works great, but bigger bluefish have at times taken the fly part way above the connection to the leader - lost fish, lost fly.

When hooked in the jaw corner, circle hooks avoid the bluefish's (and Spanish mac and kingfish) teeth. Flies don't get chewed/destroyed. Leader is rarely frayed - even 30# can be used with little risk.