Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Broadbill

Shadow Box/Presentation Frame for Flies ??

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

A friend asked for a framed set of my flies for her office. The search tool pulled up this: http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...winter+project

Anybody done anything like this in the six years since the earlier thread?

I'm looking to try to mat three individual flies in three cutout windows using fomecore spacers in a fairly deep--i.e. shadowbox-style--frame. Any thoughts on the wood versus plexiglass dowels to raise the flies? Any thoughts on drilling the dowels to take the hook point versus epoxying to the hook shank. What else?

How do they do it at the Museum of Flyfishing in Vermont? No useful pics on that website. Thanks in advance.

I think I might have said so in the original post but if I were to do another I would have glued some corks to the backing and just stuck the hook points into the corks. I have seen the plexi dowels used, and that looks nice too. There are fancy kits available online with larger frames, etc. I was doing my original on the cheap.

I will say that as I type this that shadow box hangs on the wall in my office and still looks just the same as it did 5 years ago.

Good luck with your project. Show us some pictures when you get it done smile.gif.

Alan

To make the clear posts, squirt some Tuffleye Core in a plastic straw and hit with the Blue Light and cut the straw off. You could also weld the fly to the post with the Flex or Core.

Post how you made out and what worked for you.

Brad

I have two shadow boxes now that I need to fix. I put a bunch of flies in the small box, but it was not deep. Now some of them are slipping down. I need to redo it. The deep box is trickier. I can put my bigger flies in there, but I am not sure how I want to have them in there just yet. I have too many to put just 6-8 flies in or so. I need to fill these boxes, because there are not cheap, and I want to make good use of them. I thought of name tags for each fly, but think it would be too cluttered. I am anxious to see what others here have to say as well.