Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrpowers

Anyone taken the plunge? Rubber vs Felt Soles

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Now that it looks like Maryland will be following suit by banning felt wading boots I am contemplating Rubber Soled Boots. Anyone else swap out this year for a new boot or Orvis's River Guard boots? I missed the 25% off sale in April but had not decided to purchase any at that point.

I would talk to some of the guides/Staff at Backwater Angler in Monkton, I know that Theaux and the gang have been on the forefront of rubber soles and could give you some good advise.

View PostNow that it looks like Maryland will be following suit by banning felt wading boots I am contemplating Rubber Soled Boots. Anyone else swap out this year for a new boot or Orvis's River Guard boots? I missed the 25% off sale in April but had not decided to purchase any at that point.

If it helps, Field & Stream, this month's issue, has a review of 6 or 7 wading boots with the new sole which replaces felt. Most, including Orvis, come with inserted studs and most have good reviews.

I bought a pair of Beans studded aquastealth boots about 6 years ago.They worked very good on the Potomac and Susquehanna rivers.If you are going to get rubber I would definately get the studded soles.

I have been using Bean's aquastealth for 5 years now. I have a studded pair and a non studded pair that I use for freshwater wading. The studs wore out of the studded models, so I just bought some new screw in wearbars last fall. They work great although I can see that those too will eventually fall out.

Alan

I bought the Bean Aquastealth last year. They don't work as well as felt but I like them. I don't use studs becuase I think they are to noisy (?).

View PostIf it helps, Field & Stream, this month's issue, has a review of 6 or 7 wading boots with the new sole which replaces felt. Most, including Orvis, come with inserted studs and most have good reviews.

Which month? I must have missed it?

I have literally taken the plunge with the new rubber soles. I think its a case of new dogs and old tricks. My wading style was based on felt soles with studs and I went years without a swim. When I went to the new rubber style, my old ways of stepping on angled or round rocks in trout streams and steelhead rivers led to slips and a few slo-mo dips. After one plunge in February, I started wearing a dry-top. I have been consciously paying a lot more attention to foot placement and slowing down. The new soles(with studs) are very good in snow, but old-fashioned corkers are still better for anchor ice and rock-hopping, at least for me.

Rock Snot(didymo) and other invasive species. Felt soles are seen as a major means of transporting these invasives from stream to stream. It is hoped that by getting rid of felt, the spread can be slowed.

I tried Aquastealth soles a few years ago when I first became aware of transfer of undesirable biots by felt between rivers but found the footing so dicey even with studs that I discarded them and went back to felt. Late last season, I got the chance to test-drive a pair of Simms Vibram soled wading shoes and found them at least as good as felt in the rock-bedded rivers I fish here in CO. I even found that studs reduced the traction, so another plus here.

I highly recommend against Aquastealth and for Vibram, at least for slippery rock conditions.

i really like the my new rubber boots. i had the aquastealth a few years ago and almost broke my neck. the studs are essential to safe wading and have had great results with the orvis studs in fresh and salt water