Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Governor

Squirrels eating flowers and plants--sugestions?

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

i haven't rule out shooting them but short of that, what can i do to prevent this. i have a dog who is outside unattended at times so rat poison will not work nor will anything similar. i'd also prefer that if your suggested solution were to kill them at some point that they would die in a neighbors yard so as to not upset the wife please. lastly, i live in the city so anything that would portray me as crazier than i already am to the neighbors would not be a good idea.

they eat our geraniums, my potato vine and most annoyingly my banana plants mad.gif

oh and they taunt mah doggie.

effers dig up every flower my wife plants...I think they are going after grubs because they literally just dig it up and throw it to the side headscratch.gif

I'm interested to hear what folks ahve to say...

high wire (or plank) over a baited pail of h20

but shoot'n is probably a lot kinder....but is gonna gather looks and listens that may turn on you

my crew cuts the flowers right at the base of the bud. clean cut too.

they eat the spines of the banana plants causing the long leaves to drop down--that pisses me off more than anything. mad.gifmad.gif

You can do a search for this in the DIY forum or just follow my advice:

Take a 5 gallon bucket and fill it half way with water----sprinkle a handful of sunflower seed on top of the water( they float) ---place the bucket near where the squirrels live( at the base of a tree) and they will die VERY quickly!biggrin.gif

PS.-- I caught about a dozen squirrels this way at my mom's house. At one point I went to the pizza place for lunch, came back 30 minutes later and there were 3 of them floating in the water. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifhahahahahaha

No, I repeat no, frigging poison! They just arrested a farmer in CT. for poisoning vermin in his fields, and he is getting royally screwed over it!

Havaheart traps, and then dispose of them in anyway you see fit. With the caveat that squirrels are mighty good eatin'. wink.gif

GAMO Whisper - has a noise baffle/silencer thingy that makes it far less noisy...especially in tight quarters and near neighbors....kills squirrels DEAD.

Gamo_Whisper_2289.jpg

Or try the water bucket trap.....maybe one of those electronic pest repellers?? (never seen one actually 'work')

My wife used to get pissed at me for shooting them. One day last year she went out on the patio and they had eaten all of the cushions on her chairsmad.gif ....now she shoots them for mebiggrin.gif . Punp BB gun works well, nice and quiet. I normally target them the night before trash day and dump them in there. I have only had one end up in the neighbors yard (out of about 50).

View PostYou can do a search for this in the DIY forum or just follow my advice:

Take a 5 gallon bucket and fill it half way with water----sprinkle a handful of sunflower seed on top of the water( they float) ---place the bucket near where the squirrels live( at the base of a tree) and they will die VERY quickly!biggrin.gif

PS.-- I caught about a dozen squirrels this way at my mom's house. At one point I went to the pizza place for lunch, came back 30 minutes later and there were 3 of them floating in the water. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifhahahahahaha

View PostNo, I repeat no, frigging poison! They just arrested a farmer in CT. for poisoning vermin in his fields, and he is getting royally screwed over it!

Havaheart traps, and then dispose of them in anyway you see fit. With the caveat that squirrels are mighty good eatin'. wink.gif

Outside of poision or a gun these are the best ways IMO

Havahearts give you the option of taking them someehere and releasing or to drown in a large can.

guys guys--i can't really shoot them. i live in the city and my yard is like 30 feet wide by like 12 feet deep. have about 50 neighbors in a 30 foot radius.

i also don't really fell like drowning them. isn't there something i can put that will repel them instead of having me have to dispose of bodies headscratch.gif

old cell phone picture of the yard:

Gov - not really much to repell them from what I've seen

Do the havahart then let them go in traffic or in the woods a few miles from your place, if possible.

Or teach the woof woof to get them

I'm with ya Gov, so many of them killing would go on for ever with little impact...mother in law said to spread ground pepper around...going to put it down tonight and see what happens

OK here is the answer for all types of unwanted animals eating your stuff. Get some Madd Dog 357 hot sauce (I got it online) or something close and mix a 1/2 teaspoon in a qt spray bottle with water. I like to run it through a coffee strainer so it doesn't clog the nozzle. Spray it on your plants. Don't make it too strong or ya won't be able to breath outside and don't get it on your hands. This is some bad s...t My GF has a huge yard with every kind of plant and flowers you can imagine. They ate everything down to the dirt before we used this. We spray it on everything for the deer and rabbits. One bite and they won't even bother coming into your yard. I tried the garlic spray and they still ate everything