Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pogie_boy

Gannets in the canal

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

East end Sunday morning, there was at least a half dozen gannets bombing bait periodically all morning. I'm no old timer nor am I there all the time, but I don't recall ever seeing them in the canal. Such cool looking birds.

Saw one bomb a guy's pencil and got caught. They did a pretty good job releasing him mostly unharmed and able to fly away. :th

Saw one gannet go down and come up with something big and silvery closer to the cape side.

I managed one microbass on a mini-spookie junior.

I was fishing "the beach" (kindly note, I made no mention of the name of the beach - it was on C.C. and not near the canal) early and the Gannets were there as well. Big group of them diving bombing bait and no fear of me.

They were thick both Friday and Saturday, and many yoyo's kept throwing topwater plugs which the gannets would divebomb almost as soon as they hit the water. kooky.gif

One guy near me hooked one, my wife and buddy went and got it off for him. Then he proceeded to hook another on his next cast. They went and took that one off too, and my wife gave the guy a piece of her mind. mad.gif It really upsets her to see em' being reeled in.

I bet there were at least 20 gannets hooked over the two days, and at most 3 or 4 fish.

Never recall seeing Gannets down there at the ditch in June - ever. When they showed up Sunday I switched over to a jig, but still had a couple birds dive down and get it - must have been close to 10 feet down, too. confused.gif Lucky for me that they dropped it both times when they brought it out of the water. I helped a couple guys unhook their birds. Was not much of a problem as they have nice long necks to grab on to once you get by those 8" beaks. wink.gif Managed only one 20 lb fish throughout the 3.5 hours I was there.

Unusual sight at this time of year, generally they are up in the maritimes and further north by now. Wonder why? confused.gif Also gannets typically go after big baits. Yeah there are some macks around the Canal and a lot of macks farther north past PI, but it's hard to figure what's holding them down here.

-bd

Gannets are an agressive bait fish feeder. If they are in shore feeding. It might mean that there is not enough bait fish out in the deep waters yet to keep them happy. The fish they were on might have been a school of sea herring.