Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mitchman

Chasing tuna & weather/waves

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Planning on chasing the bluefins around this year in my 20ft CC. I am planning on on targeting them in the bay, race point, possibly Stellwagon SEC & chatham.....weather permitting of course. So my question to you guys is what kind of weather window should I be looking for? I could take off a work day and go, however, I don't want to waste a day b/c I picked the wrong weather conditions. So what speed & direction of the winds & waves should I be looking for, generally speaking, when fishing the Bay, race point, etc. confused.gif

I fish my 17' CC a lot and personally, I find it uncomfortable in any winds over 10 MPH. I'm fine with swells, but the chop kills me because of the spray. I really have no place to hide from it. I think for you it depends on how well your boat handles the chop. You won't want to be stuck out at Stellwagon in bad chop and have to ride 15 miles home at 5 MPH the whole time.

Also remember that the majority of the times, the ocean will be a lot calmer around dawn and in the early morning. You could shoot out to Stellwagon on glass and be smacked in the face with severe chop just 3-4 hours later.

+1

Mother nature doesn't usually take fisherman into the equation.....start early is the best advice, it always kicks up later in the day. You want to avoid East winds, especially if they have been blowing for a few hours/days....

It's tough to plan a day like that far in advance, we never know what will show up...game time decision. Even with a good report and an eagle eye on the weather, you can still get caught in something....best bet is to be PREPARED!

Safety is #1....get an emergency beacon, offshore lifejackets, and ALWAYS make sure to leave a 'fishing plan' with a family member at home. If you change your fish plan, in the world of today's technology, send a txt or email update. Can save your life!

If I could answer that question I'd have a tv show!

Seriously. it is always a last minute decision. The advice on going early and being prepared is the best advice. I have a 28'er and there are a lot of days I head back early due to the wind blowing up. Keeping a sharp eye on the weather is best. NE and E winds over 15 can make life miserable in the areas you mentioned.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/box/marine2.shtml

Take a look at fish weather website for a solid report on the wind. For some reason I could attached the web address but do a search on fish weather report and you will find it.

Better safe than sorry.

Stay safe.

Cheers,

Scott

Thanks for all the advice. I keep a vigilent eye on the various weather & wave reporting sites, but I understand that they aren't always that accurate (I should know, im in the field). That fish weather report site is interesting. I know how it chops up through the day as well, plannin on first light trip. My boats a relatively dry 20fter and handles the sees well, however, still exposed as as no t-top and my boat still not that fun in a nasty chop.

Mitchman,

I make the run often in my 20'CC Bay boat, that's right I said Bay Boat! I go to NOAAs site http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/zone/east/boxmz.htm

and look for 3-4 day high pressure with SW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. SEAS 2 TO 3 FT. I use the Bourne ramp, it's 26 mi each way so I want to be as safe as I can. Be prepaired, leave a float plan (even if you just call your local HM before heading out and call them when you get home). Personally I wear my inflatable PFD all day long.