Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

Ok - it's crunch time to make a decision

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

We have our time already booked from work (set to fly out of BOS on 7/16 - which is a Friday and return on Sunday, 7/25)...But we've dragged out feet on booking tickets based on updates on the oil spill.

We had been looking forward to a trip similar to last year, where we spent some time on the west coast (both Venice and Naples) for some snooking (and good spanish mac actin as well), the keys (which resulted in my first tarpon catch) and the SE coast - where we got into some cero/king mackeral as well as some albie(your 'bonita') action. All three stops were a success to varying degrees.

But two things are different this year - one is that we've decided to fly into Orlando and spend the weekend at Disney (so we'll probably rule out the keys) and two, the oil spill over in the Gulf. This planned trip is still more than a month out. For you guys over in the stretch from Sarasota down through Naples, are you guys expecting the worse? I heard one report where they claimed the Loop current is currently divided, which may help delay the spread of the oil south...have any of you heard the same?

Would it be a good idea to stay on the east coast this time? And if so, I see some reports of the east coast also getting hit hard by the oil at some point...Is that just worse case scenario or an expected outcome?

I went ahead and booked my place.

I can't see canceling for something that is not there.

Plus, It might do some good for my daughter to see this with her own eyes if it happens.

Also,

Looking at the maps, it does seem that the west coast south of Tampa Bay has a good shot of avoiding this.

Yeah, I'm locked into a Fort Myers trip at end of this month but as woowoo said, it looks like it will be ok for most of the west side.

Looks like you have a lot of flexibility so I'm sure you will find somewhere to go that is not spoiled by this mess.

Some excellent fish to be caught on the east coast. I live in Cocoa Beach, 1 hr east of Orlando, redfishing in the Banana and Indian River Lagoons are excellent, and mosquito lagoon is as advertised, "World Faumous". If your more interested in Snook & Tarpon farther South, Stuart, West Palm and Sebestian Inlet are A+. Hopefully the oil spill doesnt get up that way soon mad.gif

Today a Slick was reported 150 miles west of Tampa and they did not expect it to get here any time soon. Your call East or West, Personally I would give it another week then make a final choice East/West.

I think your gonna be ok for that time period east or west , there expecting the oil to hit the loop current if it does wash out of the gulf.. My advice just go where you want and don't worry about the spill for this month , knock on wood.alba shoot me a pm.I have some info for ya.wink.gif

I live in Sarasota and fish the gulf every weekend. No oil around here and there shouldn't be unless we get a hurricane that drives the oil inshore. It's on the loop current which is 100 miles out and it should stay there.

I would feel comfortable in saying that you will be fine fishing the west coast of Florida.

Good Luck

Thanks for the info Luke.

With any luck in a couple weeks I will be at Rod and Reel pier enjoying a cold one........

Well - I'm now officially booked for July 16 - 24...but the first two days will be based out of disney while I do some fishing over in the Titusville area (with the family doing Disney). From there...well we're still keeping an eye out...If we could do some split time between Jupiter/Juno on the east coast and Venice on the west coast, that would be my preference. However, we'll see - I may just pick a coast and stick with it (because we'll be leaving out of Orlando as well)

View PostMy .02

East coast = closer

West coats= better fishing

Have fun on your trip.....

You Forgot West Coast Much cheaper and less crowded ( North of Tampa) ,fished the flats yesterday out of Homosassa and saw two boats and one of them was bait barge, Pin Fish still $6.00 dozen and 100 shrimp for $16.00.

View PostMy .02

East coast = closer

West coats= better fishing

Have fun on your trip.....

Thanks a lot - I definitely like the snook fishing in the venice area during that time of year (last year was off the charts). And there are plenty of other smaller gamefish around to keep you occupied for a while - such as spanish macs, jacks and ladyfish; which is good for someone like me who flyfishes a lot (but not exclusively). Also, I may try my hand at some light tackle night shark fishing for blacktips and whatever other 'pan' size sharks might be around (bonnet heads???)...Last year, someone mentioned catching some of the 'white' bait that's around and putting that on a hook at night for these small sharks.

But last year, I have to admit that I also discovered the Jupiter/Juno area and that was equally as great for all the above + add false albacore and king mackerel to the mix (also cero mackerel). That 'discovery' was literally a few hours on a pier as well as a few scouting stops along the shoreline...So I'm not sure if I was just lucky and 'hit it right' or if that's the norm...but albies, mackerel, jacks and ladyfish were the species I caught in just several hours - and the bait guys were hauling in large snook and much larger albies than I was taking. But then again, the fishing just a little south of there (in Ft Lauderdale/Lauderdale By The Sea) sucked, with the 'prize' catches consisting of large needlefish/houndfishheadscratch.gif The only problem I saw with the Jupiter/Juno area was the large amount of inconsiderate people as well as a lack of flyfishing opportunities - although I learned later that the surf areas were excellent places to catch snook on the fly...

So you can see why I was torn a bit over this - but Venice has always been an old stand by of sorts when I want to ensure myself of action. And my observation has always been that with the exception of tarpon (since they're available on both coasts at that time of year), catching some type of game fish (that will take artificials) is more consistant on the west coast while catching something that you might remember for the rest of your life (while fishing from shore) is a better possibility on the east coast.