Braid digging in - again

Rate this topic

Mangrove Jack

I was on a nice large fish from shore (GT over 40 pounds) and was using braid (unfortunately) and after about a 50 yard fast run the line started digging into itself on the reel. Now, this is the 3rd time I have had a break-off due to this problem and swore never to use braid again.

I would the line on tight when spooling the reel with braid but it still dug in.

How do you guys that use braid for large fish that strip off lots of line fast manage to overcome this problem (or should I say inherent vice) of braid digging in ?

I was using Power Pro #50 and had a light drag setting. But the brand makes no difference, all braid seems to have this problem.

Machine wound or hand. Spinner or conventional? 50 yards is what you work/cast. If machined wound, the line was laid in parallel, where as when done by hand, with the line lay of the reel, it's crisscrossed on all layers of the spool. This is important in preventing line dig in under drag.

The only time this doesn't matter is with a conventional, without the line lay guide.

Hope this helps some.

I would say that the digging was caused from the line being too loose. It is very important for conventionals that the line be spooled on under a lot of tension. The best way to do it is 1 - have it professionally done or 2 - first put the line on a larger reel, then spool it on to your Abu while applying some drag pressure with the larger reel. If the line is spooled on tight enough, it should not dig in at all..even with smaller braids. To test it out, after spooling it up, press on the line as hard as youcan with your thumb. If it gives even a little bit, then it's too loose.

Sometimes I'll get a little line dig in if I forget to put some tension on the line with my thumb and forefinger, while reeling in a bit of slack.

However, even when fighting oversized sturgeon, I have not had braid dig in enough to actually bust off. Something doesn't seem right here.

Be mindful when fighting monsters, lest ye become a monster yourself. As you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes back into you.

Exactly what Steve just said, spool a reel with the braid. Then put that reels drag up to where you can pull line off with some tension. Make sure that reel is mounted on a rod, i usually lay in on the ground and hold it down with my foot. When i am reeling in the braid off the reel on the floor my rod tip should be pretty bent applying the pressure needed to lay the line on the spool tight.

I have had the same issue alot of times too. Especially when i go fishing and cant lay the line back on the reel as tight as it should be.

Thats why when fishing for anything other then fluke i use mono now. Gamma 17lb has been a good line for me just started using it in the surf.

I use Cortland Spectron and Cortland Master Braid on some of my conventional reels and I find it doesn't dig in nearly as much as others due to it's thicker diameter.

LIBBA #1926
MSA #1760
"Each on his rock transfixed, the sport and prey"

didn't realize you were using a conventional.

a level wind lays the line too evenly,side by side,

even when appling tension line has a tendency to dig in.

all my conventionals are non level wind for that reason.

while reeling in i criss-cross line in an elongated x pattern.

i find this helps enormously in preventing dig in.

the only conventional that has a braid friendly level wind is the abu morrum.

Oh, guess I should say that when I fished conventional for sturgeon, I used a Penn 321 with 65# Tuff Line Plus. It is very supple, and I think it lays flatter on the spool, but that is just my uneducated opinion.

Be mindful when fighting monsters, lest ye become a monster yourself. As you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes back into you.

it sounds like sometime during your outing you had a small backlash that you were able to wind over leaving an unseen soft spot on the spool. It was exposed as you hooked up. The end of a cast is a great spot to pull the line out by hand and make sure its seated right.

"It is an art performed on a four-count rhythm between ten and two o'clock"

After I have filled a reel with braid, I tie the end to something solid and walk away. When I reach the spool, I turn around and crank it back on with my drag cranked down and my rod bent about 90 degrees. The last 100 yards or so, I let up on the pressure.When you are respooled your arms will be tired.biggrin.gif Rock hard braid helps to eliminate the problem. I also use 65 lb PowerPro on my 7000.

.........Elvis lives....2020

Line lay on a levelwind reel don't work on high drag pressures. In order to eliminate digging on high drag, you need to wind it manually. I have 6 conventionals with braid and have landed some pretty big fish under heavy drag. I manually wind the line maybe 5 times faster side to side than a levelwind. The line of choice is Spiderwire Stealth because it's super smooth and doesn't cut your thumb while winding - it's like I'm winding in mono.