Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Awesome John

A nice fishing technique thats working for me...

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

they sell that flash prizim tape at lure making shops online. there is one called "opal" its translucent pearlish green...

You cut out an oval of that and peel off the backing and paste it on both sides of a 3/4 oz kastmaster and use a undressed treble hook. Cast that baby and snap it ( jig it) just off the bottom in a drop /snap/ drop / snap fashion. This technique is actually producing under tough conditions here.. You may want to try it there before the oil gets arrives..frown.gif

I am investigating this method.

I'm not sure if I'm getting it right, but trying to work it out.

Have caught a couple fish on the 1 1/2oz hopkins shorty w/undressed single hook.

I need to get some trebles.

Any advise or dicussion on this method is welcome.

Thanks.

I am also searching to read past discussions.

John, it works for me too. Been using it for a while. Tried putting a layer of epoxy over the tape but the epoxy started to peel off before the tape did by itself. Going to try some other coating method this winter.

It sure does improve a Kastmaster. I've tried dots and narrow strips as well. The dots seem to work as well as covering the whole Kastmaster and they stay on longer without peeling off. Luckily, this stuff is cheap.

View PostI am investigating this method.

I'm not sure if I'm getting it right, but trying to work it out.

Have caught a couple fish on the 1 1/2oz hopkins shorty w/undressed single hook.

I need to get some trebles.

Any advise or dicussion on this method is welcome.

Thanks.

I am also searching to read past discussions.

I love the Hopkins Shorty, casts well, catches fish, has a great side to side wobble and you can slow down the retrieve and still keep it up in the water column. One thing though, I'd never put trebles on one, or on any other metal lure. The single Siwash, with or without bucktail works just fine.

I love the Hopkins Shorty, casts well, catches fish, has a great side to side wobble and you can slow down the retrieve and still keep it up in the water column. One thing though, I'd never put trebles on one, or on any other metal lure. The single Siwash, with or without bucktail works just fine.

Thanks

Hey Awesome John, I was hoping for some background on the conditions where your using this technique ie. sand beaches, gravel bottoms, boulder fields etc.

Thanks, Rich

View PostHey Awesome John, I was hoping for some background on the conditions where your using this technique ie. sand beaches, gravel bottoms, boulder fields etc.

Thanks, Rich

This has become my "go to" technique in "all conditions" except shallow water.. even then a 1/2 oz hopkins can be dance on the surface very enticingly without hanging up once you get the feel.

Us Fly guys have been using different variations using Prism tape,eye's ETC for quite some time now .

You can coat the lure with Salley Hanson Hard as Nails Clear Nail Polish to keep the tape on better.

Man I need to shop the tackle shops more (and read more as I found out in another thread). I use to swipe my mothers reflective foil tape that she used for gift wrapping to put colors on my kastmasters. These days I have a few colors of automotive reflective tape, like the 3m stuff. You can see the stuff from a mile away and I had tried some that I used on my old bike. The stuff stays on pretty good too. It comes in different widths and I just cut to the shape I want.

I got three fluke this weekend when neither myself nor anyone else was catching. It was picked up on the drop. I can see why you have to stay in contact with the lure or at least pick up the slack right away.

I was using a Hopkins Shorty 2.25 and I've caught on the 1.5 as well.

I needan old school metal sharpie to be my tutor. I think there is much more to fishing these things than the modern fisherman thinks, because if it doesn't work on a straight retrieve (which it does), then just go to something else.

I'm fascinated.