Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Flounderhooked21

What's more important?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

confused.gif I saw a video on youtube about Fluke and how stocks are plummeting dangerously low. Yeah, some people say the Summer Flounder stock has risen, though it's still not where it should be. Shouldn't these officials be talking about the Winter Flounder and not the Summer Flounder?headscratch.gif Here is the video. You guys may have seen this before, but let me hear your thoughts about these regulations. Even though we may have been through this, just...let me hear your thoughts about this....

"> lAvnpp-oTzs

Ya got to listen carefully to anything "PEW" or any part of "PEW" says or implies.

Just after 5 minutes the truth come out.

The rec fishermen are only looking at the fish stock where the fish are, where they fish for them.

While the scientists are looking at the entire east coast, and the southern end doesn't have many "summer flounder", but miles of shoreline.

So a plentiful stock up your way, spread out down this way will ruin the fishery for both of us.

Think about this;

Is the lack of flowers, or the lack of honey-bees, on the moon, that causes the monochromatic colors on the moon.?

That was an excellent video and the comments made were very true as said in the above post. Let's hope they do the right thing and keep the fluke stocks healthy in the coming years.

I agree with both of you guys. But shouldn't this video be about the Winter Flounder, and not the Summer Flounder? I mean, this being an excellent video, why don't National Geographic make one about the Winter Flounder? 2 days ago, my friend went fishing with me and caught a 17 inch Winter Flounder off NJ in the wrecks.(We took some pictures and released it).This 2010 season, I did not catch a single flounder. Years before, I brung a whole bucket full since the limit for NJ used to be 10......I am concerned with the rest of you guys about the Winter Flounder stocks and the population itself as well. If we anglers continue to face more piles of restrictions, then some people are going to lose interest. And who gets blamed for the small population of Winter Flounder nowadays? I blame a small portion of the fault on us anglers because I have seen plenty of people keep more than 10 flounder and under the size limit. But isn't the blame being aimed at commercial fisheries as well? Has the state of NJ done something about? Someone help me out here because I don't think I am that flounderhooked anymore as I used to be many years before. I would close the season if it were up to me. Take a look at the Hook, Line, and Sinker in april. Only three people caught flounder. And there has been plenty, maybe a little less, of people that went fishing for Winter Flounder this year. It's going to take more than a couple of years to rebuild our flounder stocks. As for the Summer Flounder, I am actually catching more than I did many years before. I am satisfied with the fluke stocks, but not the flounder's stocks. Any thoughts about how the state of NJ is maintaining its flounder stocks? Do you like how NJ is maintaining it, by limiting to 2 a person, or do you oppose it? I know they're trying to rebuild it by giving us harsh restraints, but aren't you guys tired of seeing anglers keep illegal flounder(Meaning under the size limit and/or more than the possession limit)? Please consider my concern/thoughts.

Flounderhooked I understand your concerns. However, I highly doubt that the winter flounder stock has gone unnoticed by ASMFC and NMFS. If they are putting such restrictions behind a stock theres usually an effort for more research being sought for. Maybe you see more interest for summer than winter flounder because about half to three quarters of all party boats, charters and recreational fisherman go out for summer flounder during the summer. There is lots of business involved for these different people not to mention all the tackle shops and such. I am not saying that winter flounder hasn't been sought after at all but realize that during the summer. One of the most popular fish species to fish for is Fluke and if high restrictions exist then many people will not continue fishing and many more people that depend on summer fisherman will go out of business. This has raised lots of controversy over many years with this issue and is a reason why you are probably seeing more information about Summer Flounder than Winter Flounder.

What really bugs me is that the netters keep 14" fish, prolly because it would be too expensive for them to change out their 4" mesh size. In MA where I fish, it is rare to catch one much over 14".

View PostWhat really bugs me is that the netters keep 14" fish, prolly because it would be too expensive for them to change out their 4" mesh size. In MA where I fish, it is rare to catch one much over 14".

Buz23, when you catch a Winter Flounder, say a keeper, do you release it to live on and fight another day? Or do you keep it? Sure, if I catch a flounder I'll keep one, yes. But I strongly believe that the population is going to decrease even more with all these piles of restraints. How? Easy, people are going to keep more than two flounder, whether or not they're keeper or not a keeper. If there was to be a meeting about the Winter Flounder, then the officials wouldn't be able to say a word without listening to my concerns. Also, if anybody has the ranger's phone number I will gladly write it down because next person I see keeeping an illegal flounder, they're in trouble.mad.gif I AM SICK AND TIRED OF PEOPLE DOING THIS TO THE FLOUNDER STOCKS!mad.gif I AM THE LAST PERSON TO TALK 2 RIGHT NOW!mad.gif IF I AM GOING TO BE FACING MORE RESTRICTIONS AND IN PAIN(FISH STOCKS WISE), THEN I WILL HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO QUIT FLOUNDER FISHING.mad.giffrown.gif AND I'M NOT CALMING DOWN UNTIL SOMEONE DOES SOMETHING ABOUT THIS DILEMMA.mad.gif GOOD DAY TO YOU PEOPLE. GEEZ.......mad.gif

Buz, I am not yelling at you. I am just.......with all these restrictions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why are you against these restrictions? I wish they'd put some of these restrictions on the striped bass when they're easy to catch. Protect the breeders. They aren't trophys.

View PostJust one reason should be good enough .. 99% of the Keeper Summer Flounder are Female .. THAT cant be good .

I Thought we were talking about winter flounder?

Still can't understand the size limits for recreational fluke - you read reports of guys pulling up 150 fish and only keeping 1 or 2. The mortality rate considered, wouldn't it be better to just drop the size limit down and let people keep the same 2? Would they still be pulling up 150 fish anyway, just playing C&R once they hit the limit, or would some fish actually be saved?

View PostBuz23, when you catch a Winter Flounder, say a keeper, do you release it to live on and fight another day? Or do you keep it? Sure, if I catch a flounder I'll keep one, yes. But I strongly believe that the population is going to decrease even more with all these piles of restraints. How? Easy, people are going to keep more than two flounder, whether or not they're keeper or not a keeper. If there was to be a meeting about the Winter Flounder, then the officials wouldn't be able to say a word without listening to my concerns. Also, if anybody has the ranger's phone number I will gladly write it down because next person I see keeeping an illegal flounder, they're in trouble.mad.gif I AM SICK AND TIRED OF PEOPLE DOING THIS TO THE FLOUNDER STOCKS!mad.gif I AM THE LAST PERSON TO TALK 2 RIGHT NOW!mad.gif IF I AM GOING TO BE FACING MORE RESTRICTIONS AND IN PAIN(FISH STOCKS WISE), THEN I WILL HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO QUIT FLOUNDER FISHING.mad.giffrown.gif AND I'M NOT CALMING DOWN UNTIL SOMEONE DOES SOMETHING ABOUT THIS DILEMMA.mad.gif GOOD DAY TO YOU PEOPLE. GEEZ.......mad.gif

Buz, I am not yelling at you. I am just.......with all these restrictions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I throw em all back, flounders, bass. I do keep bluefish when caught from a head boat. When I surf fish I'm usually fishing too far from the car to have them stay fresh when I get back