daiwa saltist

Rate this topic

striper junkie

i posted this in the reel maint. thread but i thought i'd see if anyone here could help

i bought a new saltist a few weeks ago and i like the reel alot so far. but today i noticed the line roller wasn't rolling. (it is supposed to roll, right?) i take very good care of my gear and rince after every use. i tried putting oil in it but it didn't help. i have know experience taking apart reels so i don't know what to do. in the past month my baitrunner broke and my abu broke which i returned and got this instead. i am so sick of having gear problems. anyone know what to do?

There is just one screw holding it together. Its not difficult to take it apart and see if something is gunking it up. You'll feel silly for not trying it wink.gif.

Be mindful when fighting monsters, lest ye become a monster yourself. As you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes back into you.

The Saltist has a nylon (or some other kind of plastic) sleeve bearing. It does not have a ball bearing race. This is both good and bad. The fact that it is nylon means it will never corrode and permanently freeze which is a common thing with many reels.

The down side is there is a little more "slop" in the tolerances between the roller and the shroud around it. Water atomizes when it zings through the roller and bathes the area with salt and fine particles of sand. On the Saltist, this seems to build up and cling in the interior surfaces of the line roller shroud. When this happens, you will feel and hear a bit of a grind/rub between the roller and the shroud. Some people mistake it for gear noise.

The cure is pretty simple. Just take apart the line roller and clean it out. A bit of oil will help prevent. Breakfree CLP (a gun oil) is wonderful and special stuff. It works great. - HPD

• 3 months later...

I just bearing spoke with Diawa today regarding the roller on the 6500H. They have a ball bearing which will fit the Saltist. The part is $5.95. The CSR told me they advise against using it since they said the Saltist was designed with the plastic bushing because salt tends to freeze up a ball bearing roller.

View PostI just bearing spoke with Diawa today regarding the roller on the 6500H. They have a ball bearing which will fit the Saltist. The part is $5.95. The CSR told me they advise against using it since they said the Saltist was designed with the plastic bushing because salt tends to freeze up a ball bearing roller.

Thats some good newswink.gif