Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoshL

Low Profile Tires

30 posts in this topic

No, the thought to beach driving is airing down to maximize rubber to float the vehicle. Low profile gives you minimal sidewall and doesn't allow the tire to grow.

I've never been a fan of low profiles on 4x4s. I like larger tires but not with larger rims.

A 4x4 suburban with 22s and low profiles is an oxymoron to me.

So now after thirty some years of driving four different Chevys and three Jeeps and only having to get the shovel out three times. I also have the same problem, looking at a used 2008 Tahoe (will be my third tahoe) with factory 20" rims and wide rubber I have to think also. I've always bumped up one tire width when replacing , such as taking my 245R7516 and going to 265R7516 for the increased height and width. It is easy to say swap the rims but that would be a piece of change right after buying a truck. I'm test driving it (not on sand) tomorrow, I guess it might be a factor, although the tire is wider then my current Tahoe, just not as tall.....kooky.gif......Jack

PS. I don't get trucks that often, my current Tahoe is a 2001, set up just about perfect now!

View PostIt's a Toyota Tundra, the tires (20") came with the truck when I purchased it (pre-owned).

Take it out and try at 15 psi and see how it go's...

Go in at 23 and turn right toward the jetty the sand is better down there ..

I helped a guy with low pros on a chevy get un-stuck and he had to go down the 12 psi

View PostTake it out and try at 15 psi and see how it go's...

Go in at 23 and turn right toward the jetty the sand is better down there ..

I helped a guy with low pros on a chevy get un-stuck and he had to go down the 12 psi

Up here they want you at 11psi or lower. That would scare me with a low pro tire.

View PostUp here they want you at 11psi or lower. That would scare me with a low pro tire.

Yeah me too...!!!!

i have a f-350 ford supercrew and run 15 and man that scares me bad some times..

View PostYeah me too...!!!!

i have a f-350 ford supercrew and run 15 and man that scares me bad some times..

I see some of the guys in F 350s with 9 or 10' campers and am amazed they don't break a bead.

My GMC 1500 rides much better than my old Dodge did over the sand.

Lo pros have a stiff sidewall and lo pressures are a MAJOR no-no.. That is if you want to keep your tires on the bead...

I doubt you will get enough traction to spin the tire on the rim, but that and loosing the bead are very real possibilities from too lo a tire pressure. Don't even think for a minute you can apply the mentality of a reg truck tire to a lo-pro street tire...

If you spent allot of time in the dunes, invest in a set of tires appropriate for the terrain. You don't need to spent a ton of cash, steel stocker rims and a used set of tires will easily fit the bill here.. Just a thought.

CW

View PostIt's a Toyota Tundra, the tires (20") came with the truck when I purchased it (pre-owned).

Find someone with a tundra with 17" or 18" tires who wants to swap.