Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fishalicious

Loading a Jumpin' Minnow

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I had a PM exchange with another SOL member over the winter about loading Rebel Jumpin' Minnows. He said they can be loaded similarly to a Redfin, with "a little less than 10cc" of water.

Any one have any experience with loading these little dandies and, if so, what's your formula?

Thanks!

I don't know why you would load it. It's got the rattle inside already and I think that's part of the success of the plug. Adding water would dampen the rattle wouldn't it?

You also want this plug to glide on top. I find even adding heavier hooks affects the action. Of course for $7 dollars you could experiment and see what happens...

Its funny I've seen everything eat them at one point or another. Bass, blues, or albies, all three of them will eat them if given the oppertunitiy. Loading them with a big peice of shot may be a better option, but I'm not sure what the inside looks like. 10 ccs weighs just under 1/3 of an ounce right? So maybe use 2 .12 ounce belly weights for plug bulding to get that loud obnoxious rattle. I just started loading plugs and I've been using these because I like how they sound compared to smaller shot or bbs. Plugging the 1/4" hole is a pain in the butt though.

Matt

I load them with just under 10 cc's of water in addition to changing the hooks. Loaded, the action isn't compromised, and they cast much better.

This is interesting...

Where do you make the hole? Is it just one big cavity?

I've got a bunch sitting around, but i seem to like the new badonk better.

maybe loading will help, but they have caught a bunch unloaded too.

View PostYou folks have good success with this jumpin minnow?

Yes - more than 90% of my stripers have been caught on this top water plug (the remaining 10% split on flies and plastic baits). The only suggestion I have is to switch the hooks out before you use them

View PostYou folks have good success with this jumpin minnow?

No terrible lure waste of time and moneytongue.gif

View PostThis and other spook plugs. They've become my favorite surface lure.

Hey Arent you a Rebel sales rep for the jumping minnow?wink.gif

View PostI had a PM exchange with another SOL member over the winter about loading Rebel Jumpin' Minnows. He said they can be loaded similarly to a Redfin, with "a little less than 10cc" of water.

Any one have any experience with loading these little dandies and, if so, what's your formula? Thanks!

You guys would load anythingwink.gif

View PostYes - more than 90% of my stripers have been caught on this top water plug (the remaining 10% split on flies and plastic baits). The only suggestion I have is to switch the hooks out before you use them

Arnt you the guy who swore you caught a 327 pound sea Robin?wink.gif

View PostLoad them with BB's to get more rattle, more weight and they will cast like a bullet! Just don't put in so much as to make them sink. I liked them with 5 BB's.

Okey I'll spill the beans I load them with 7.5 BB's and two drops of Urine and they still dont work.wink.gif

in conclusion...

Jumping minnows "dont work", there are no fish at montauk, Rhode Island casters will load anything icon24.gif, the internet has promoted spot burning and plug burning, isnt anything sacred any morewink.gif

View PostNo terrible lure waste of time and moneytongue.gif

Hey Arent you a Rebel sales rep for the jumping minnow?wink.gif

You guys would load anythingwink.gif

Arnt you the guy who swore you caught a 327 pound sea Robin?wink.gif

Okey I'll spill the beans I load them with 7.5 BB's and two drops of Urine and they still dont work.wink.gif

in conclusion...

Jumping minnows "dont work", there are no fish at montauk, Rhode Island casters will load anything icon24.gif, the internet has promoted spot burning and plug burning, isnt anything sacred any morewink.gif

Thougthful post. Any opinions on BM Jr's?

Actually preferring a different spook these days but I ain't tellin which one... that betterwink.gif

IMO a Jumpin Minnow will out-fish any other top water lure in calmer conditions.

Its important to get them weighted right and use the right tackle.

They'll catch with big hooks, loaded or fished on a 10 foot surf rod but when you get the hook size just right and use an optimal rod it really becomes a fish catching machine.